Home > Trip Reports > 3/27 Avi incident under the Tooth at Snoqualmie.

3/27 Avi incident under the Tooth at Snoqualmie.

3/27/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by skibum on 3/27/11 8:22am
I was caught in an avalanche today out under the tooth. It was a terrain red flag but we deemed the snowpack stable after several tests. We proceeded with caution and with my partner watching me I dropped over a rollover and made a light turn. The slope ripped out beneath me and I was taken over a rock band that I was trying to avoid. The slide was about 6-8 inches deep and propagated about 20 feet or less. the snow was heavy enough to pull me off my feet and I took a ride over the rocks while my partner watched. When the snow came to a stop i was maybe 200 feet below where i was when i triggered the slide and was buried up to my waist. My partner made sure that the rest of the slope would not come down on both of us and he accidently triggered a secondary which was much smaller but came down and buried me up to my ribs. I was lucky to avoid deeper burial, but i was able to extricate myself, and was not injured in the end. I skied to an island of safety and signaled my partner to board down to me. He came down and we discussed what had happened. We decided that the slope most likely broke free because I was on a terrain red flag and that the aspect that I was on had had the sun affect it where it had not in out test pit. We overlooked some big red flags, and payed for them. The rest of the day was uneventful, and was actually surprisingly good skiing. The snowpack was super bomber for the rest of the runs we took and was a very nice day to be out.  The skiing was very good all the way out, and it felt good to go get some exercise. Will post pictures tomorrow. I didnt get any of the Avi.
Are you talking about the northeast facing slopes on the way to Pinapple Pass?  Hard to imagine much sun hitting them.  The northeast slopes slopes beneath the Tooth always make me nervous.  Wind loaded, convexities, 30-40% slope. Stay away...

Thanks for the report, and I'm glad to hear that you are okay.

From the sound of the terrain you described, it sounds like you were heading towards Bryant Col.  Is that correct?  Did you skin up the area which avalanched?  If so, did you notice anything about the snowpack there versus the more shaded aspect where you dug your pit? Were there any other red flags besides the terrain (steep, convex, terrain trap?)

FWIW, I toured around snoqualmie the day before on a variety of aspects.  We noticed two layers:  a crust on top of graupel that'd break off in plates (but was only 2 inches thick).  This was only on solar aspects.  In places, there was also a crust lower down (6 or 8 inches) that produced respectably smooth shears in the new snow in hand pits, but I don't think we ever got it to move otherwise.

Yes i believe it was bryant col that we were heading up to. we took a different route up through the trees and then skied down a different route. The terrain I was in when i was caught was a mellow slope(20-28 degrees) and then rolled over onto a slope about 40 degrees or so. It was a dumb mistake on my part, but i guess that is a learning experience. We assumed it was safe because we could not get it to slide otherwise and it wouldn't move in the pit. I did not see any other avalanche red flags throughout the day from a snowpack standpoint, so i guess it must have just been the terrain we were in. Does that answer your questions andy?

Reply to this TR

3-27-avi-incident-under-the-tooth-at-snoqualmie
skibum
2011-03-27 15:22:51