Home > Trip Reports > March 26, 2011, Snoqualmie Kendall Stump

March 26, 2011, Snoqualmie Kendall Stump

3/26/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by mattgoyer on 3/26/11 10:25am
We're just getting into backcountry skiing and were looking for something close to home and not too technical so we decided to hit up Kendall Stump.

We parked at Summit West and headed under the highway to get started. In the forest before the clearcut we encountered pretty variable conditions. At times it'd be pretty firm/icy at others you'd be up to your waist in heavy wet snow. Moving the forest was pretty challenging, the trees were thick and we had a hard time getting into a rhythm.

Once we got above the forest into the clear cut we found it tough going for a few hundred more vertical feet until we fortunately stumbled upon a clear section. We switchbacked up through that up to 4800' (according to Sam's watch). Having never been up Kendell and in pretty bad visibility we don't know if we got to the top or not.

The first 200' vertical feet of distinct was pretty firm. Reminded me of the Chugach a couple weeks ago! But then we got into heavy spring snow which was pretty fun. Once we got back into the thick trees it got pretty challenging again.

We did make the mistake of not going skiers right enough on the descent and ended up at exit 53 instead of 52 so we had to hike back to Summit West.

The whole time it was lightly snowing, at times windy, low visibility.

photos from the trip...

Very nice. Welcome to the sport.

Kendall Stump has of course slowly gotten thicker with christmas trees through the years, but it can still serve up some nice quick fun as long as you find those openings. It looks like you guys got to what I've always assumed was the top of "the stump" but you can of course keep trucking up wooded ridge toward Kendall from there.

Looks like good beer at the bumper. How do you like the Manaslus? I found that they handled the mank out in the low open areas pretty well today!

Next time I think we'll find something with less trees! I don't mind them so much on the way down but it made getting up challenging for us :).

Manaslus performed pretty well. Snow was a little heavy for them/me though.

From where we turned around, we could catch glimpses of something to the east/looker's right but it was pretty forested and looked like 400' vertical. With the poor visibility we didn't feel like exploring though and opted for beers and the North Bend Bar & Grill.

I usually start the tour of Kendall Stump from exit 53.  It minimizes the deep canopy component and starts you going vetical sooner.  With the south exposure on the Stump, I usually tour there in December and January when the sun is lower in the sky.  As you realized, there are considerable small trees so snow coverable can be variable in early season.  It's an easy 1800vf tour in a storm where temperatures are lower than pass level.

Welcome to TAY !

author=Zap link=topic=20327.msg86347#msg86347 date=1301193215]
I usually start the tour of Kendall Stump from exit 53. 

Ditto, unless planning to ski back via Commonwealth Basin, though I haven't done the stump in a while. Sometimes it can offer nice "early corn" too thanks to its aspect and elevation.

Reply to this TR

march-26-2011-snoqualmie-kendall-stump
mattgoyer
2011-03-26 17:25:11