Home > Trip Reports > December 7, 2004, Mt. Baker

December 7, 2004, Mt. Baker

12/7/04
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by dave_z on 12/7/04 5:57am
Colder temps and about 4 inches of new at baker. Skiing was great with a few face shos but vivsibility was limited. Everytjing is filling in great up there including the glades which were superb. Snow was farily stable wi. Only saw 4 other backcountry skiers. I guess everyone hasd to work,
I spent the 7th and 8th at Baker enjoying the powder.  On the 7th I ended up touring just outside the ski boundary. I planned to ski Herman but the road to the upper lodge was closed.  A tow truck was attempting to winch a vehicle out of a ravine about 100' down.  Someone didn't make the hairpin turn and had a slalom ride in their vehicle down the ravine. Spent the night in the camper at the White Salmon lot and woke to 3" new and a continous storm all day. Another 3" fell in a few hours.  Too bad Baker is 3 hours from Seattle.

Zap

Zap, your literary skills are without compare, your nose for fresh powder legendary, your skiing prowess almost superhuman...but I judge even your unique talents insufficient to enjoy skiing the 8th of December prior to midnight on the 7th.  

That aside, a Seattle resident with a taste for speed and an acute sense of timing can make Baker in just 2.5 hours.  Stop by anytime.

Yesterday (12/07) Ellen Butzel and I were also over there.  We went over to Herman Saddle for better visibility.  I was surprised how much new snow there was there since Sunday.  It was pretty skied up Sunday but yesterday I saw only a trace of a couple of tracks.  Fairly windy.  Returning back to the parking lot, we saw about a half a dozen slides from the Table Mt. half of the valley that extended down to the lake.

Mark, I usually never leave a powder event but I had to return to Seattle for a couple of doctor appts on Wednesday.  Even more important , Jill and I take my grandson(age 3) for his ski lesson at Mini Mtn in Bellevue(an indoor revolving carpet).  I must admit that I have been working on the development of his "sherpa"  skills since his arrival.  The first words he heard from me on day 1 was "how much fun it is to break trail for grandpa and also carrying some of my pack weight is fun".  I figure you folks will be tired of helping an aging powder sleuth and I need to develop another tier of trail breakers.  Looks like today is "the day" at Baker.  My whitewater kayak friends are already gleaming about Friday's runoff.

Zap

Reply to this TR

december-7-2004-mt-baker
dave_z
2004-12-07 13:57:40