Home > Trip Reports > 3-23 The Black Hole

3-23 The Black Hole

3/15/11
Posted by alecapone on 3/25/11 1:09am
"You down to attempt Bandit on Wednesday?"

While trying to rally a partner or two for something less ambitious for the day, I got a suprise message from Kyle Miller. The answer was easy.

This would be my third attempt to follow in the footsteps of two of my favorite ski mountain rad dudes Ryan Lurie and Phil Fortier. Try one with my friend Jeff ended a mile short by the sounds of huge slides echoing off the walls of the Napeequa Valley. Try two with my friend John Plotz went better(who I sincerely apologize to for not extending an invite, and oddly asked me if I wanted to climb bandit 2 days after Kyle had put this plan into action), but shut us down with white out conditions part of the way up. We did at least manage to make some turns that day.
Kyle along with new partner Nick Cryder picked me up at the compound bright and early and we started off under a waning super moon with clear skies and firm snow. A couple very small wrong turns, and one slippery log crossing that left one unarmed person slosh footing the entire day. The scenery up the valley is worth the effort alone, and mostly fairly easy going, gaining little elevation over several miles. Once we reached the base of the climb we found a nice pile of debris. comforting yet disheartening. the first couple hundred feet barely seemed skiable, but Kyle urged us to tuck our pessimism away and press on. Good thing. After passing the poop chute conditions rapidly improved. Ankle to thigh deep, soft and stable for the rest of the day.
Just above where the lower colour opens up, Nick hit a wall. He hadn't slept the night before so he decided to dig into a safe spot and take a nap while we continued. The upper portion seemed never ending. Curving just enough to hide the view of when it would end. we weren't sure if we wanted it to or not. Climbing was tough at times, but the more it went, the more to ride. We made decent time playing a game of '40 step switch.. No cheating, the guy behind is counting too!

kyle's turn

my turn

Eventually, there we where. STOKED!!! Some sun and clouds, but the day was perfect so far, and about to get better. I skiitered down through a 3 foot constriction from the col to get a good vantage for some photo slutting and was very suprised to see that Nick had awoken from the dead and was only about 50' below us and climbing..Yeah budy!
Nick! So happy you could make it.

Kyle taking it to the top.

and from the top.

Often you climb and ride something, then the decent seem to go by to quickly. This line just seems to go and go..... and go. Like ten slots stacked on top of each other. And then you are half way down...

A few more riding pics.

The avi debris had softened in the sun making 99% of the run rippable. A small gear issue had Nick behind us a bit as we sat drinking cool delicious water from the exit. Perfect and moist on our lips.Our black holey water anointment.
Our deproach somehow manage ed to take us longer then approaching with darkness failing and causing some wandering. But my mind was not there, It was still miles behind and excited, while numb to the task at hand... and then it was over. Some very sore, blistered, trench feet where aired out before jumping into NIck's jeep for the ride home. Not bothering to fight it, I drifted off to sleep with the turn of the ignition key. It didn;t last too long as just a few miles down the road, our drivers fight ended as he drifted off to sleep, and the road, Sticking us into a snow bank.

Awesome DAy!!!! Still stoked. Thanks very much Kyle for the invite, and Nick for coming along and putting forth a great effort. Sorry to John Plotz for doing it without you... I'll do it again though!

verrry nice!

as one of the cards lost in the shuffle, and my nose deep in the beta, I'm up for it whenever the conditions are again as ripe as they were. Just let me know John...

Third times a charm!!! Nice work

Scott, you are dead to me...

Kidding! Nice decent you guys. As the saying goes, "There are no friends on a stable weather forecast in Washington."

stefan, let's talk...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Quite deserved as well!

Great TR!  I hope to advance from taxi driver to couloir ripper someday...  ;)

!!!!
That is so rad, and finally answers my question as to what the rad line to access via the plowed White RR in the winter is.  The Napeequa is one of my favorite places in the cascades.  The E/NE facing bowls on the other side of the ridge look SOoo good.  I need a snowmobile...

Right on guys. Wish I could'a joined, but Canada was bluebird, so I got my due. I still want to get up in there though. Count me in for the next adventure!

Way to get it done. Bet it felt good after 2 other tries.

Nice work guys!

I'm liking the TR variety you've got going on.  Nice work.

GREAT TR!!  However, where does does this take place (isolated hick from Oregon)?

Nice job! Seems like that place holds good snow...

rlsg: it's on the east side of the Cascades, near Lake Wenatchee, north of highway 2.

author=haggis link=topic=20314.msg86317#msg86317 date=1301102585]
I'm liking the TR variety you've got going on.  Nice work.

I'll second that!  Great find, Spectacular.  Well done!

Nice!  Way to perservere and make it after 2 other tries!  Looks like a good time!

This was even better than what I was expecting from the subject line.

nice work guys!

Thanks for the TR Scott and strong work.  I was previously unaware of a Black Hole in that part or our universe.  I hope to fall in myself one of these days.

Way to go guys! 
That's been on the list, I'm amazed it hasn't been repeated before now.  Cant wait for what's next...!

I've seen the nap done before, but not in a couloir.  Sets a new standard for style.  Smashing.

Sweet one guys! I'm glad you all got it in good conditions. That's definitely one of the nicest lines around. And congrats on not dying on the drive home. 

Hey dudes, I am Cryder referenced in the above, aka "the napper" :D Next time I head out with I am not gonna work two back to back all-nighters (I work in advertising, happens all the time). But on the other hand, I do recommend them to cheer things up mid-route.

That said, i'm new to the Cascade's (from Montana), and wow what a stellar intro to the goods here. Huge thanks to Kyle & Scott for letting me sandbag with them on this trip. Here is a small video edit from the rowdyness that is the black hole.

http://www.vimeo.com/21509696

Oh yeah, any of you use the Black Diamond method boot and have it get stuck in touring mode?! All that work just do survival turns... *sigh*

Nicholas Cryder

sweet .. i've been looking for this tr but "black hole" .. went right over my head ... anyhow i watched you guys from time to time on kyles "spot" tracker .. when he said he was headed to bandit i googled and found phils old tr on tgr and thought wow those guys are going to have a blast! .. glad you all made it ... and had fun ..

great video footage nick .. it looks like hd ... is it?

Reply to this TR

3-23-the-black-hole
alecapone
2011-03-25 08:09:01