Home > Trip Reports > 3/ 23, Sierra's

3/ 23, Sierra's

3/23/11
US elsewhere
Posted by all mtn on 3/23/11 7:20am
- yesterday, I skied 2 ft of nice powder, on an east aspect. on the NW aspect that has a couple chutes, a skier triggered a wind slab release that took him into a terrain trap of trees. he suffered some injuries, and was air-lifted to Reno. (check Sierra Avalanche Center for a rpt)
- the storm track has been unrelenting, as last Fri, into Mon. resorts reported up to 8 ft of new. up north, the Mt Shasta area also received that wallup. Alpine Meadows resort was forced to stay closed Sunday, as they reported extreme avalanche conditions. (they had an avalanche in the early 80's that wiped out their base).  today and tomorrow, 2 additional ft, is forecasted both days. March can typically be a big month, so bring it on.  * should be a phenominal corn season.
Thanks for the report. I plan on spending the 2nd week in May on Shasta. Let it snow let it snow let it snow!!!

Fantastic.  I will be at my cabin there for 2 weeks starting on the 27th.  I have actually been secretly hoping for spring though, as we have been skiing, here in the NW, in the cold, the rain, and the snow, all winter now.  After all it is spring now, and there is nothing like a good corn harvest in Tahoe.  It will still be fantastic skiing with my Tahoe buddies no matter what the conditions.

Picture from earlier this winter

ReportLast Updated: 6:26AM, Saturday, March 26, 2011 Currently At Alpine
21 °

Mountain
Snow Depth 185" 315"
24-hr Snow Total 4" 7"
Storm Snow Total 58" 81"
Temp (at time of reporting) 23° F 19° F
Wind (at time of reporting) 20 W/SW 45 W/SW

Current Snow Conditions: Powder; groomed trails; and more powder.
Ski Lifts

sometimes I live through my kid, who lives in noth lake

Reply to this TR

3-23-sierra-s
all mtn
2011-03-23 14:20:58