Home > Trip Reports > March 19-20, 2011, Coquihalla, BC

March 19-20, 2011, Coquihalla, BC

3/19/11
Canada BC
Posted by altasnob on 3/21/11 11:51am
Headed up to the hinterlands north of the boarder for some fun in the Coquihalla. Day 1 was spent exploring the Needle/Flatiron Peaks area. Lots of granite domes made for some interesting route finding. The bowling ball runs just keep rolling over; you never know if it's going to cliff out at some point. Ginormous cornices!

Needle Peak backside

SE face of Flatiron Peak

Needle Peak

Yak Peak

Day 2 was spent on the backside of Nak Peak. Even more epic north of the interstate. I'd highly recommend the John Baldwin Book and Map of the area. It was key because the range seems to be either flat or cliff.

Nak Peak

Toujours Frais!

Sorry for exceding the 3 photo limit. I can move this thread to NW Hikers if you want.
Thanks for highlighting an area few of us have toured.  All the photos provide a glimpse of the variety of terrain. Where did you spend the evening ?

The Super 8 in Merritt, about 45 minutes from the pass. Although the heated picnic area at the rest stop looked tempting.

Thanks for the report. Well, at least I've shared the experience of staying the Merrit Super 8 a few times. On trips home from the Selkirks where we got out late. I've tried to convince my pals to go up and try some of those slopes but they're always eager to get home after a hard week of skiing further NE.  I appreciate the inspiration to go make it a destination all unto itself sometime.

Thanks for the TR and guidebook info. I passed by those on the way to Silver Star last month, looking for and not seeing any tracks, and was wondering about the opportunities and access. Neat area.

Move it to NWhikers dude.  That kind of lawlessness is likely to get you an a** whooping.  However, nice work guys.  ;D

Great pics Jay.  I wish I could have joined you but as you know my strong pariotism prevents me from gracing Canada with my superior American form (or until I get a passport)

Did you guys road-trip the Prius?

Reply to this TR

march-19-20-2011-coquihalla-bc
altasnob
2011-03-21 18:51:37