Home > Trip Reports > March 20, 2011, Nason-Martin Cr. Headwaters Touring

March 20, 2011, Nason-Martin Cr. Headwaters Touring

3/20/11
Posted by John Morrow on 3/21/11 2:00am
After Saturday, Justin, Jake, and I wanted to get back to the Cascade crest north of Stevens for more north facing powder stashes.  Our approach via Yodelin into Nason Creek headwaters is fun and short.  First run was off NW facing slopes of Skyline ridge in absolutely wonderful recycled powder.  Snow must have €œdried out€ even more from some nighttime clearing.  A bit concerned with windloading, we kept to protected short shots.  However, as the day progressed we were absolutely blasted by the 30+ mph east winds.  We toured over to the Martin Creek drainage next for a run near Martin BM, that we've dubbed the "X" Factor gullies.  Unfortunately, this NE run had been plastered by wind and our sweet light powder got significantly slabbed up with a trap wind crust.  Still a fine tour through pretty terrain.  I love hitting the lesser travelled country north of Stevens Pass, even if the runs are a bit short.  Lots of enjoyable ridge traversing and pretty old growth to ski through.  We are easily amused with the tour even when the day lacks a big line for the effort.
Nice. 

Were you the group heading out of Yodelin ~9?  We were starting up at about the same time.  I was wondering where you were headed...

Yodelin wasn't great.  Backside towards Mill Creek was very nice.  We had a couple people out for their very first tour so we didn't do many laps.

To more winter!

author=trees4me link=topic=20261.msg86171#msg86171 date=1300854280]
Nice. 

Were you the group heading out of Yodelin ~9?   We were starting up at about the same time.  I was wondering where you were headed...

Yodelin wasn't great.  Backside towards Mill Creek was very nice.  We had a couple people out for their very first tour so we didn't do many laps.

To more winter!

Hi trees4me,
That must have been us: three guys in a red Subaru.  We had some Grateful Dead playing.  We should have said hello, but one of us had a afternoon time constraint.  See you next time.  BC skiers are indeed a minority breed, like you I hate to see the sun climbing so high in the sky and ruining good light snow!
John

Reply to this TR

march-20-2011-nason-martin-cr-headwaters-touring
John Morrow
2011-03-21 09:00:25