Home > Trip Reports > sweet slot : 03.19.11

sweet slot : 03.19.11

3/15/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cumulus on 3/19/11 3:17pm

where were the slot hordes on this sweet sweet day? Rob and I kept looking over our shoulders but all we saw were phantoms. Had the whole mountain and a foot of powder to ourselves... Holy moon and seasons changed as we trudged and slayed. Took off in winter, returned in spring. White was the parking lot in the morn, brown upon return. Such perfect timing. Only forgot the sunscreen. Oh well.

Skinning out of the alpental parking lot we encountered dry pow over corn... very peculiar, yet befitting seasons change. not such a great fit for skinning though, the downhill ski kept wanting to go... downhill. Slippery skinning. And sweat was rolling, the sun came out. Stability holding with elevation gained, northern shadows guarding treasured goods. And good they were! so good...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_0GNoXcE9FCA/TYWVCu-IsPI/AAAAAAAABts/iIw4FDxPbfQ/s1067/slot_031911_a.jpg height="1067" width="800"" />

On the way down almost each turn down lower phantom set off slow and heavy sloughs sliding down on a hardened undersurface. Fun to ski the sloughy, not so much the slough cleared undersurface. Just had to be a little careful of the inclination (= speed of slough). Probably won't transfer well onto tomorrow...

Afterwards we had Bud Light Lime and Muscle Milk with the banana man at the Summit West snowboard extravaganza. A surreal and somewhat stomach curdling experience (that somehow worked) and sent us off down the 90 happily re-hydrated.

Fun read Stefan!

Envious of the great day you had. Looks sweet!

Great day! Some additional photos...

Thanks Scott

and thanks again for a great day Rob!

Nice Stefan!  I see you had the Cyclops deployed.  Post up the vid!

Thanks John - Cyclops seems to have contracted a cataract... or maybe just went snow blind. back to the opthamologist we go. I think some duct tape will do it.

Here's some salvaged footage

Sweet indeed to catch the slot in such great conditions and without the usual hordes.  Nice day.

Reply to this TR

sweet-slot-03-19-11
cumulus
2011-03-19 22:17:39