Home > Trip Reports > March 19, 2011, ONP, Hurricane Ridge Environs

March 19, 2011, ONP, Hurricane Ridge Environs

3/19/11
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 3/19/11 2:29pm
We spent the morning with fellow Ski Patrollers doing avalanche assessment and ski cutting in the Poma Bowl ahead of the season opening of this lift.  ;D
Settlement over the last 3 days of relatively dry weather had stabilized the snowpack on these slopes. We found no indications of instability and multiple laps of ski cutting did not trigger any releases. The lift opened shortly after noon.

Jan, Jeff and I headed west from the lodge to one of our favorite slopes near the end of the road. We found the NW facing aspect holding deep and somewhat heavy powder. The turns were enjoyable and we were fortunate to be able climb back to the ridge line using the skin track set by a snowboarder who had ridden the slope earlier in the day!  ;)

Here are a few pictures from our day and a link to some more: https://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20100319HurricaneRidge#
  1. Mt Angles framed by heavily rimed trees
  2. Sunshine and powder
  3. Approaching clouds
We spied that snowboard run to the bottom as we skied out to the Hill. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the powder while it lasts! This is what it looked like on the north side!

Glad to hear the snowpack was cooperating with your plans.  looks like  a beautiful day in the backyard.  Did the strong winds on sunday affect the area? Hope to get up there next weekend.

somehow i missed the 2nd on picasa this morn .. yeah duh .. totally .. it must've been cause the 1st was so stunning .. what a beautiful day up there .. i'm so jealous

Those look like some pretty big cornices you got going up there Gary.  I hope to make a trip out to see you and Jan before they let loose.  Maybe we could coax one or two loose.   ;D

Reply to this TR

march-19-2011-onp-hurricane-ridge-environs
Gary_H
2011-03-19 21:29:12