Home > Trip Reports > March 19, ONP Whoomph! Monster Cornice Lets Loose

March 19, ONP Whoomph! Monster Cornice Lets Loose

3/15/11
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 3/19/11 12:40pm
The pics pretty much tell the story. Every step counts when you go skiing when the Avalanche Danger is High.  A few more feet to the right and the outcome could have been disastrous.  Fortunately no one was skiing below when it let go and I escaped with only a rattled mind.

That block of snow and ice was the size of a dump truck and probably heavier.
I imagine that did get your attention! Did this release on the section of ridge just before you start the climb to Hurricane Hill? Nice shot of Al with the Bailey Range as a backdrop.

Gary

author=GaryJan link=topic=20245.msg86002#msg86002 date=1300595379]
I imagine that did get your attention! Did this release on the section of ridge just before you start the climb to Hurricane Hill? Nice shot of Al with the Bailey Range as a backdrop.

Gary

Yes

That slide zone is just above the area where you would normally cut below the ridgeline and head into the treed zone to the bowl. That entire ridge to the parking lot is developing a reputation.

That guy in the pic is me! :)

NWAC had been talking about hugh corninces for more than a week and I saw them on many ridges and features of most aspects around Stevens.  There were some huge ones on north aspects.  With temps climbing into the mid 40's and higher I expect they will continue to come crashing down with greater and greater frequency for a few days.  I am glad that you were not in the path of that monster.

That's a good sized cornice, glad to hear that nobody was hurt!

Click here to see another, smaller cornice release from the same day (Crystal backcountry).

Reply to this TR

march-19-onp-whoomph-monster-cornice-lets-loose
runcle
2011-03-19 19:40:53