Home > Trip Reports > 3-16, Smooth Jazz

3-16, Smooth Jazz

3/15/11
Posted by alecapone on 3/16/11 9:20am
Lrudholm and I had talked about getting up here previously, but reports where that the road was blocked. Set out this am to do some road recon to see how close I could get to the Barclay lake TH. I attempted it a few days ago, but this time I was armed with a chain saw and straps. Luckily someone must have did the dirty work yesterday, because the trees where gone. Unluckily, the snow became to deep to drive somewhere before mile marker 3. I dunno, maybe 3 miles or so from the TH. It's a pretty familiar road for me being so close to the house and one of my girlfriends favorite quick hikes. She is actually the one who told me that there was "a snow line touching the lake". She spied it late spring, and within the few days it took me to get up there, the snow had melted back considerably. A while later after becoming more intrested in the history, I searched and read the report from Greg Lange about his ski decent led by Ben Haskell, and how 'jazzy' this line was.

The road was sloppy skinning, but the summer trail was nice and firm, with just a hint of a snow shoe track. After not too long and we where there, staring up at Baring in usual awe. I am sure my mouth was gaping, with a bit of drool. Such an ominous piece of rock. Good news bad news, there was a huge pile of debris a the bottum of the couloir.  actually happy it was there, it made me feel a little safer so we just went straight up the gut. perfect for up, with the occasional douse of slough coming off of the north peak. Sun breaks caused some very big sounding slides to start popping off of merchant peak, but there was not a hint of sun on our side of the valley. weird.

very near the top we lost all visibility and bailed on the last bit. Sad, it would have been cool to hear the whole riff. Although, it's a jam I'd be more then happy to listen too again.

Jazz hands! Nice report bro!

Looks familiar!  

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=16083.0

Bit drier and snowier in your pictures... huh. ;)

Nice work -- I wouldn't be happy heading up that gully either unless there was a huge pile of debris at the bottom, especially right now.  Too bad you lost the vis -- that's one of my favorite views in the US2 corridor.

Thanks!

you are probably more into hard rock?

Lol at MArcus. (sorry)

I remember that from last spring. I don't even have to look.

agreed re the debris. I had no intentions of going up until I seen it, among other variables. You could probably work around to the east to avoid most of the exposure at the bottum, and then cut in. Almost all the action is coming from the north peak on your right.

Did you guys make the notch? I've never done that east facing line. I've made squiggles down the west side. We were able to link up the white stuff from the big basin down the north side to the old road bed that the climbers trail starts on. 1998 or 99 I think.
Good work - I rode chairs for an hour  ;)

nice!

I was eying that line on this pic (+ more expansive view) from the Grotto report on nwhikers.

I want to get back to your neighborhood soon and listen to some music...

i've wanted this line too.
went up on recon to snow coated devils club. retreated to cat tracks on top of our own.
cool.

Looks nice!

So there is the Jazz couloir and the Hard Rock couloir off of Baring?

Glad you made it up there.

No Leyland, no hardrock.  I made that name up. Just keeping with the theme. pretty rowdy looking.

Stefan,

I seen that report when Yana posted it. She had a few good ones from the area last fall.
Get's a little confusing with 3 peaks, but I am not sure that is the line I was heading up. It looks like that is between the middle and north peak? wish I could have seen more.

Smooth jazz is between east and middle dropping north.

Yeah Scott, I think you're right -- that's not quite the same line in Yana's pic.  The one you went up is sort of disguised out of sight, facing across the valley below that line, I think.  They branch apart at the top, if I'm remembering right -- looking down from the col between Middle and North is the line in the pic.  Pretty steep just below the top.

Al: Nice work getting in there this winter. This is a tour that only rewards those who really watch conditions and snowpack. In '07, Ben and I watched and waited, and were rewarded with a sunny day and much soft snow. Hope you are able to get back there in the future to the notch. You'll hear the full instrumentation of any jazz group you choose! To top it off, the look south is spectacular!!

Very exciting!
That debris pile is much more reassuring than a waterfall and gaping snow cave :)

Reply to this TR

3-16-smooth-jazz
alecapone
2011-03-16 16:20:44