Home > Trip Reports > March 13, 2011, Boulder Hut BC

March 13, 2011, Boulder Hut BC

3/13/11
Canada BC
Posted by Jeff_Ward on 3/15/11 6:37am
I spent the last week skiing at the Boulder Hut out of Kimberly BC.  We had very good ski conditions with 40 cms of new snow over the week with temps averaging -6C.  Stability was good x3 when we arrived and we were able to ski some of the steeper lines in the alpine the first two days.  We had a storm mid-week with some moderate to strong winds that forced us into the trees and mellower terrain.  This storm produced numerous natural avalanches up to size 2.5 in the alpine. 

This was my first time at the Boulder Hut.  I didn't know what to expect but I was impressed with the terrain and the operation.  If you get a chance to make it up there I'd highly recommend it.  It's a family run operation that offers everything from the traditional fly-in fly-out week-long hut trip (recommended) to the snowmobile + ski in option, as well as shorter, 3 and 4 day programs.  Mark and Sarah, the new owners, are great people and have a true passion for skiing and the hut they are running.  They spend the whole winter up there with their two kids Grace (6) and Alden (3).  I just wish my parents were that cool.

I know this sounds like a shameless commercial post, but since I have no connection to the hut other than I had a great time there I'm hoping people won't give me too much grief. 

I put together a short video of some of the storm skiing.  http://ncmountainguides.com/permalink.asp?id=629#629
This is indeed shameless...to those of us stuck in a cubicle  :(

Great vid! Thanks for posting!

Great video - thanks for posting!

author=jwplotz link=topic=20200.msg85759#msg85759 date=1300225834]
This is indeed shameless...to those of us stuck in a cubicle  :(
;D

Great video.
I have not heard about Boulder Hut, these cabins are multiplying fast!

Reply to this TR

march-13-2011-boulder-hut-bc
Jeff_Ward
2011-03-15 13:37:31