Home > Trip Reports > March 14, 2011, Copper Creek MTTA

March 14, 2011, Copper Creek MTTA

3/14/11
Posted by Andrew Carey on 3/15/11 2:37am
When the high country in MRNP is closed, I do ski patrol on the MTTA, especially when new snow covers all the grooming and old tracks.

Say, Andy, you must have been on the north block..  How are the turnable slopes looking up there (above and east of the hut)?  Probably kind of wet, but still wondering...  haven't been up there this year, although visited (and 'skiied') snobowl earlier.  In a good year, I liked the route, 59 > 62 > north along rising ridge > then either mellow glades on east aspect or bowl down to below the hut, and back

Didn't try any (didn't look too promising given appearance and what we were skiing on) but I suspect it would have been a 2-6 inches of new, moist  snow some with a wind crust on top of a breakable rain crust, probably on top of a complex snow base, potentially unstable; very uneven surface from previous melting.  Our lunch spot was about 4600 feet asl (location known as Mountain View), just off the trail; when I stepped off my skis I went thru the top soft snow and then the rain crust to just above knee deep, ski penetration was 2-3 inches.  With wider skis you could probably ski the stuff above 4500 ft asl if you were careful (not heavily weighting one ski--that drove my 78--mm ski waist well into the crust).

Before they closed the Copper Creek Snow Park (FS RD 59), we used to go up there (to Glacier View, the saddle at the top of the road before you head down the road to Glacier Wilderness) a lot with waxless bc skis and ski the clearcuts; that road is now a prime ATV & 4WD playground. Where we stopped (Mountain View) an old road/skid trail heads down to Glacier View, whereas the main MTTA Road/Trail continues 5 miles out to Puyallup Lookout.  Lots of clearcuts in the area.  The new North District Snow Park is on the DNR 92 Rd; the road is open to the lowest snowpark and it is about 6 miles from there to Mountain View.  I sometime access the trail system via a locked gate (to which I have a key) road thru industrial timberlands; saves some driving.

MTTA = Mount Tahoma Trails Association Mount Tahoma Ski Trail System is a non-profit, all-volunteer organization that manages "North America's Largest No Fee Hut to Hut Ski Trail".  Right now they have 2 huts and 1 yurt, but it is not really hut to hut skiing; it is more like ski to a hut, then hangout (minutes to days; overnight requires reservations), and ski back to the snow park.  One hut burned down but is being rebuilt.  It is not really a groomed ski trail system.  Hard-working, dedicated volunteers groom about 1/3 of the 55 miles, once to several times per week, concentrating on weekends.  Grooming is somewhat like a downhill slope is groomed; there are no packed ski tracks; with our maritime snowpack it can be difficult to groom well.  It is not really a ski trail--it is really the Mt. Tahoma Ski, Showshoe, Hiker Interactive Trail System; yes, dogs are allowed on many of the trails, but not all, and not in the huts.  Snowshoers and hikers are asked to keep to the right on the trails.  Many visitors use XC skis like one would use on a regular groomed ski trail; skiers are much better off using waxless, metal-edged skis to lightweight randonee skis with 3-pin to tech bindings, and supportive boots; on any given day you may encounter any of the varied snow types we have in PNW, including previously used snow.  There is an office behind the fire station in Ashford that is usually open on weekends.  Sno-park permits are required at the snow parks.  Use is greatest on weekends.  During the week you might find yourself totally alone or encounter a party going to or coming from one of the huts.  On my trip I encountered 10 snowhoers and 4 XC skiers coming down from Copper Creek Hut. The snowshoers were in a nice single file on the downhill right side of the trail.  But, of course, not all visitors obey the rules.

Did an 8-mile RT, 2400 vft elevation gain, ski patrol on the South District to High Hut and back; Karhu XCD Guides, vertical STs, TLT5s (with skin-saver forward lean lock block) proved ideal; new snow, conditions were great; advised a couple of senior ladies I passed on the way up of the MTTA policy to stay to the right when snowshoeing and hiking; they thanked me for the info; very friendly; said hello on the way down.

Also saw a young couple descending from High Hut (they spent at least one night) with big packs and AT gear including those clunky Freerides :-)  followed by 3 geezers on XC skis, 2 pulling gear on sleds.

More info on MTTA
South District

Of course I did patrol on the N District Tuesday, in the rain, to Copper Creek Hut (4500 ft asl).

Reply to this TR

march-14-2011-copper-creek-mtta
Andrew Carey
2011-03-15 09:37:53