Home > Trip Reports > 11 Mar 2011, - Snoq Pass Dawn Patrol

11 Mar 2011, - Snoq Pass Dawn Patrol

3/15/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by haggis on 3/11/11 5:00am
Headed out around 6am and made it to 5500ft.  Very poor qualility snow in the trees until 4000 then it became good.  Tree bombs, melted snow, rain all made the trees bad skiing.  Went out above treeline for a few hundred feet after pit tests proved bomber.  Couldn't get anything to move or propagate.  Turns from 5500 to 4000 were great and a worthy morning outing indeed.  2 other skiers followed our track just as we dropped in.

From what we saw it looked quite consolidated.  SW aspect.
Is this a trend to just mention aspect and elevation?

author=Mattski link=topic=20104.msg85465#msg85465 date=1299900569]
Is this a trend to just mention aspect and elevation?

No.  Only elevation info from now on.  Any cryptics beyond are superfluous.

Its good information if you read it.  The pass is not exactly a secret spot, its a dawn patrol, so figure a 3 hr round trip from the car on a SW aspect and you'll find it pretty quickly.  Just a trend taken from Trumpetsailor and Silas wild who never post location at the pass so I followed suit.  See thread in random tracks about same by Kyle Miller.

No pics, forgot camera.

author=haggis link=topic=20104.msg85473#msg85473 date=1299903623]
The pass is not exactly a secret spot

Well said.  There's a million pieces of woods and mountains at the pass for an adventurous soul to check out.  Conditions are super helpful, thanks.

Besides, if Haggis is anything like my friends and I, names of "runs" our touring areas could be named but it would be names that nobody else would understand.....which could get entertaining I guess.

+1 .. I appreciate the conditions update and don't care or want to know the exact location (to minimize the herd mentality)

Thank you for the info.

Thank you for the report.  Exactly the info I needed.

author=ski_photomatt link=topic=20104.msg85484#msg85484 date=1299912220]
+1 .. I appreciate the conditions update and don't care or want to know the exact location (to minimize the herd mentality)

I agree with that.  Pics can be fun, to try to decifer a locale out of them!  Otherwise, I appreciate seeing any info to no TR at all.
John, aka. "oh cryptic one"!

Looks like I'm quite in the minority on this one but I much prefer TRs that do include the location.  The issue has been debated many times since the early days here, no need to fight old battles, just didn't want it to seem like a unanimous opinion.

It is kind of fun to guess, I guess.

I liked Amar's suggestion in the long thread of splitting Random Tracks with a Snow/Weather/Avy section.  I could imagine an ongoing thread with snowpack and conditions updates with elevation and aspect (but maybe not exact location) being quite useful to lots of users.  All aggregated together might be nice too.

I'm with alpentalcorey on this, but also agree with everyone else - any info is better than none, so thanks Haggis. It would be cool to have a way to aggregate all the snow info on an area into one easy to read spot. TRs like this could be posted there, more extensive TRs (with some story, more pics, perhaps even location, etc.) would still be posted in the TR section.

author=alpentalcorey link=topic=20104.msg85491#msg85491 date=1299938972]
Looks like I'm quite in the minority on this one but I much prefer TRs that do include the location.  The issue has been debated many times since the early days here, no need to fight old battles, just didn't want it to seem like a unanimous opinion.

It is kind of fun to guess, I guess.

I liked Amar's suggestion in the long thread of splitting Random Tracks with a Snow/Weather/Avy section.  I could imagine an ongoing thread with snowpack and conditions updates with elevation and aspect (but maybe not exact location) being quite useful to lots of users.  All aggregated together might be nice too.

Absolutely fair enough.  I'd be lying if I said that I didn't wish an author posted a location, from time to time!  I just chock it up to respecting their decision on what detail to give, I guess...
John

Reply to this TR

11-mar-2011-snoq-pass-dawn-patrol
haggis
2011-03-11 13:00:54