Home > Trip Reports > Crystal and White River Areas recently

Crystal and White River Areas recently

3/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kyle Miller on 3/9/11 1:39am
It seems this website is getting a little bit off track so I thought I would post up some of the stuff I have been doing lately.

First lets lighten the mood with a video cut I made of a 4 day back to back touring frenzy around Crystal.

herehttp://vimeo.com/20213603

We had a small weather window two weeks ago so Boot and myself decided to tackle something big. That is until we heard a whoomph on South facing slopes so we ran with our tails between our legs out to the Interglacier, it did not disappoint.

herehttp://vimeo.com/20457371

The weather was sketchy for quite a bit and there was stuff that needed to be done at the resort so I patiently waited for another weather window which came along this weekend.

Our first day we skinned up the Sarvant Glacier and sat on top of the Cowlitz Chimney waiting for the weather to clear, sadly it didn't so we rode a spicy colouir back to the snowmos and prepared for another epic slog the next day.

The Chimneys in fine form.

Nothing like breaking trail for 7 miles

Skinning to the Summit block of the Cowlitz Chimney

The second day Amar Joined us and we followed our old skin track up the Sarvant only to reach bad weather once again. Not wanting to retrace our steps once again we rode down the Sarvant then skinned up Tamanos col, rode down to Owyhigh lakes then traversed to the NW avi chutes of Tamanos where we rode a large avi swath to within a mile of the snowmos.

(Sadly I have no photos or video of this trip)

I love having fresh snow but I am hoping for some high pressure systems soon.
Awesome Kyle, thanks for posting.  Great catching up with you at Crystal the other day, hopefully under better circumstances next time.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=20070.msg85223#msg85223 date=1299692383]
Not wanting to retrace our steps once again we rode down the Sarvant then skinned up Tamanos col, rode down to Owyhigh lakes then traversed to the NW avi chutes of Tamanos where we rode a large avi swath to within a mile of the snowmos.

I know exactly the swath you are speaking of and I have wanted to ski that for years. How was the vine maple at the bottom?? Covered?
Thanks for the play by play, could visually follow it to the footstep!
Nice vibe report!

Filled in and epic conditions for all 2,200 feet.

I have a idea for a rad tour once the weather clears out.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=20070.msg85230#msg85230 date=1299693713]
Filled in and epic conditions for all 2,200 feet.

I have a idea for a rad tour once the weather clears out.

I was thinking about that run when I was giving you a ride up the other day and we were talking Tamanos.
Uhhghhh....I don't think a skier has ever skied that, just boarders. I can think of one maybe...
You give us skiers something to strive for!

Nice Kyle. It looks like you are a trail breaking machine out there...as always. Hopefully I can join you on a mission soon.

p.s. that avy looks realllly scary.

you know how i love that you get back there in winter .. tamanos is a fave haunt of mine .. you just make me want to go there NOW! .. just like the last time you were on the sarvant

btw .. awesome video .. great camera technique ..

awesome stuff.
Im assuming your buddy is ok from that slide at the end of the first video?!?

author=MattT link=topic=20070.msg85241#msg85241 date=1299698274]
awesome stuff.
Im assuming your buddy is ok from that slide at the end of the first video?!?

Speaking of First Video: Who is that song by? That is awesome!

And...uh... after seeing the whole vid, I will have to re-ask the same question about your buddy and the Avy.
Wow.
AND, artistically, the music edit was awesome for the whole thing. Especially the avy-sequence. Nice work.

You're poaching all  my pics, man  ;).

Wow Kyle, that runout on interglacier goes forever. Looks like a full day.

I was the one involved in the avalanche but I was lucky/fortunate enough to figure out what was going on before it was too late.

Sorry for poaching your pics Boot  ;)

and the song is by Pendulum.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=20070.msg85223#msg85223 date=1299692383">
The second day Amar Joined us and we followed our old skin track up the Sarvant only to reach bad weather once again. Not wanting to retrace our steps once again we rode down the Sarvant then skinned up Tamanos col, rode down to Owyhigh lakes then traversed to the NW avi chutes of Tamanos where we rode a large avi swath to within a mile of the snowmos.

(Sadly I have no photos or video of this trip)

I wasn't sure if I was going to write a TR, but I decided to write one after seeing your post, since I do have some photos of this trip (no video though). It was a great trip, despite my all-day exhaustion (sorry guys):

March 7, 2011, MRNP, Sarvant Glacier, Tamanos Mtn

Kyle and Boot, thanks for sharing your recent adventures and returning the focus of why we visit TAY.  The first video had some wonderful segments.  As the trees were tightening around the 6:15 mark, I kept wondering where's the slot as you put on the brakes.  ;)

You guys are trail breaking machines !

Those are some awesome trips you've been hitting in the park, Kyle.  A snomo really opens up a ton of cool possibilities.  Sweet videos. 

Glad to hear you were unhurt with the slab you triggered.  I think I'd have to change my underwear after that.  Do you have any lessons learned from the close call?

I too wondered about the vid ending... I'm glad that that you were
author=Kyle Miller link=topic=20070.msg85260#msg85260 date=1299708398]
lucky/fortunate enough to figure out what was going on before it was too late.

!
but, uh - at the very end of the vid, is that you or just some little tree in the swath?
or did you cut out the side?

and do you ski too? (in that nice chute, also towards the end of the vid)

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=20070.msg85260#msg85260 date=1299708398]
I was lucky/fortunate enough to figure out what was going on before it was too late.

Yes. Wow. Thanks.

I was thinking of you while looking into Crystal Lakes Basin today from the Boxcar. Stoked to see all the amazing work you (guys) are doing out there.

I've been eyeing the potential for a Crystal -> Paradise Traverse, and I'm really interested to see you putting pieces of that together. I assume so, but don't know if anyone has done this before. It looks reasonable: about 20 mi. and 10k vert, all above about 5ooo', and could include Little T. It gets easier by starting from Cayuse pass after the road opens, and could likely be done in a "push" day in the right conditions.

Any feedback?

Nice work guys!!! 

20 miles 10 k is right up kyles alley....

author=Col link=topic=20070.msg85488#msg85488 date=1299917223">
I've been eyeing the potential for a Crystal -> Paradise Traverse, and I'm really interested to see you putting pieces of that together. I assume so, but don't know if anyone has done this before. It looks reasonable: about 20 mi. and 10k vert, all above about 5ooo', and could include Little T. It gets easier by starting from Cayuse pass after the road opens, and could likely be done in a "push" day in the right conditions.

Any feedback?

There has been a trip from Paradise to WR campground Paradise to WR, so if they repeat that backward, putting the rest of the puzzle should be simple or already done.
If I had the motivation/energy/courage to do that segment in reverse I will have skied from Buck Creek Camp (near Greenwater) to Paradise. But it ain't going to happen.
Still working on finishing the segment from Greenwater to Buck Creek to complete the Greenwater to Camp Sherman goal.

author=Col link=topic=20070.msg85488#msg85488 date=1299917223]

Any feedback?

I recall someone doing Paradise to Cayuse... seems like 3 or 4 years ago. That report must be in the archives here somewhere. It would seem a routine matter to continue on up over Chinook, Sourdough and on to Crystal. Just reverse it if you are a fiend for torture points like Kyle :)

Skoog's site has some good info, though he went Pardise to Cayuse (including Little T) and then Crystal to Cayuse some time later.  Read for yourself:

http://www.alpenglow.org/skiing/crystal-1991/index.html

http://www.alpenglow.org/skiing/cayuse-2001/index.html

Cheers

Thanks. I should have realized that if anyone, Skoog would know about and have done it, and written it up in detail as well. The historical accounts are eye-openers. I never realized how much ski history preceded the development of Crystal in that area.

Also, it was affirming to read about Lowell's pleasure in traversing hard snow, as I too have enjoyed  those type of days: moving swiftly across great distances in the alpine with minimal elevation loss.

It looks like Paradise -> Cayuse has a better elevation profile, but I wonder if it would make sense to climb the east aspects earlier in the day and end with a run down the Muir. I guess that would depend on overall conditions...

Do you have any lessons learned from the close call?

Just because you ski cut and cornice bomb something it doesn't mean it can't slide.

I noticed that the snow in front of me was moving so I kept up my speed and did a quick traverse right into the trees. I saw that it was coming for me so I slid to the downside of a tree and hugged it for dear life. THe avalanche came within 5 feet of me.

As for the traverse.
There are many ways that it could be done but to do so from Crystal could really be a pain. I would suggest/recommend waiting for Cayuse to open.

I have joked with friends who ski at White Pass about doing a traverse on 123 so that I wouldn't have to hitch a ride to Tacoma from Greenwater.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=20070.msg85520#msg85520 date=1299977156]
Do you have any lessons learned from the close call?

Just because you ski cut and cornice bomb something it doesn't mean it can't slide.

I noticed that the snow in front of me was moving so I kept up my speed and did a quick traverse right into the trees. I saw that it was coming for me so I slid to the downside of a tree and hugged it for dear life. THe avalanche came within 5 feet of me.

It looks like the skier filming was planning on skiing the slope along with you to get footage and bailed out at the last minute - yikes!  The vimeo clip ain't worth it man...

Love the Crystal country - thanks for the video/pictures.

Orion

My very 1st and 2nd days in Washington state in the Spring of 1983 at 20-yrs-old, I solo-toured from Cayuse Pass to Paradise, skiing over ridges, glaciers, etc. I camped on the edge of the lower Ingraham Glacier, traversed to just below Anvil and then skied down to Paradise, before hitching back to my car as Stevens Canyon road opened. I haven't been back to that little region much since. Very cool to see what you're up to Kyle! Get it!

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=20070.msg85223#msg85223 date=1299692383]
It seems this website is getting a little bit off track so I thought I would post up some of the stuff I have been doing lately.

Yes, this is great. Back to the basics in an extraordinary way. Beautiful stuff! Thank you Kyle Miller.

Reply to this TR

crystal-and-white-river-areas-recently
Kyle Miller
2011-03-09 09:39:43