Home > Trip Reports > December 3, 2004, Mt. Rainier - Nisqually Chutes

December 3, 2004, Mt. Rainier - Nisqually Chutes

12/3/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 12/3/04 4:16am
Our gang consisted of Rick, Chris, Mike, and myself.  Chris had a 30min or so head start so we had some catching up to do.  Rest of us started shortly after 10 from the lot (5400ft.).  It was bluebird with the sun beaming and no wind.  The views of the surrounding chutes looked sick.  Only counted a handful of lines down the Nisqually.  Maybe four or so, so plenty of untouched variations to pick from.  We also noticed some recent sluff activity but nothing to steer us away.

So on we skinned up the traditional summer route to gain Pan Pt.  There was pretty much a good highway laid down...thanx.  Snow conditions thus far was the usual PNW pow...know what I mean.  Like usual the winds started to pick up around the point and continued until Pebble Creek.  We also noticed the storm that was forcasted, creeping from the northwest.  Now it was a race against mother nature.  The clouds were already starting to take shape around the mountain.  It wouldn't be too long now before mother nature would unleash it's fury.

It was smooth sailing up until the chute entrance (8300ft.).  Here the winds were gusting enough that we didn't stick around too long.  Conditions in the chute were tolerable.  First 50ft. was crusty but nothing the few extra lbs from them college days couldn't carve thru.  Soon as the slope petered out, I couldn't resist carving the steep banks boarders right and racing my balls down.  Once below the snow turned for the better.  I crossed the gully high left while the rest took some lines on the right.  Snow in this area was well preserved and at least a foot deep.

BTW I couldn't help but notice a single line laid down by some individual that went onto the glacier, skirting it's flank. ???  Wonder what that person was thinking...or not. ???

On the climb out the winds started howling thru the valley.  Enough to cover up for some gusts.  After the dumps predicted for this weekend I would be cautious of anything north to northeast aspect in this area.  In certain areas it was slab central on the way out.  Everytime Mike and I planted our boards chunks of snow about 6 inches thick were easily releasing.  Snow was also knee to thigh deep in places.  Made me regret not skinning but the laziness factor of converting my board had sank in plus the hill was not that long.  Wind was blowing hard enough, almost erasing the skin tracks and refilling the boot tracks.  From the saddle it was pretty much a straight line to the car with a turn here and there to avoid pine.  Got back to the car at 2:30 and outta there.  Come on mother nature bring on the snow!

Reply to this TR

december-3-2004-mt-rainier-nisqually-chutes
snoslut
2004-12-03 12:16:15