Home > Trip Reports > March 6, 2011, Roosevelt NW side and Bryant Couloir

March 6, 2011, Roosevelt NW side and Bryant Couloir

3/6/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ryanl on 3/6/11 4:30pm
Dave. Eric, Benj and I left the Alpental parking lot this morning around 7:30 with the intention of skiing. Alot. We put a track up to the north side of Chair peak and had a run to Snow lake that got better as we got lower. Sort of punchy pow off the ridge that turned into boot deep goodness about 300' down. Stability was good- no evidence of any instability by any of us.

Here's a shot of the Bryant Couloir on the way to Chair's north side:

And here's video of the conditions just above the exit chutes down into the lake:

From there we made our way up to Roosevelt to ski the NW side, a route Pete A described last month here: http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=19693.0

On our way up:

I took a video of our descent on Roosevelt's NW side, but it's terrible. To borrow a phrase from jwplotz, keep your expectations low.

We toured to the NE above Gem lake and had a wonderful ski down to Snow Lake. That shot was an unexpected bonus- great snow and fun terrain. And for those interested, no evidence of instability on any of the aspects we skied.

Here's a shot from the ridge above Snow Lake, with Malekwa Pass in the distance:

At Snow Lake we regained our skin track and followed it back up towards Malekwa Pass. A few parties were doing the Chair peak circumnav so we had a track up and over the pass, and all the way to the Bryant Col. Thanks whoever you were. 

Snow on the S (or is it W?) side of Malekwa pass was pretty sun affected, but fun and fast. Snow in the Bryant Couloir was heavy, but stable. The constriction is completely filled in so we had a nice and mostly continuous descent all the way to source lake.

Thanks boys for the great day. I needed it.

Wow!  What could possibly calm the mind, and perhaps bring a few moments of inner peace, better than stitching together over 7000 vertical feet of interesting skiing?!?  Very impressive, gentlemen.  Has my vote for most creative local tour of the year.

one must learn to focus before picking up cameras and shooting friends skiing down roosevelt. but somehow i was glued to the screen through the whole video. dammit. thanks

Nice flash of E$'s pearly whites in the otherwise slightly blurry video.  Blurry or not, makes me want to get back there and check it out.

Looks like a killer day guys. 

Fun day to be out and about for sure.  We skied a line off the top of Bryant and center punched the Coulior ~11am before it warmed up too much, and it was some tasty fall line skiing.

Nice work guys! No Lander this trip?

Thanks for a great day gentlemen.  And to anyone reading this post, I feel obliged to say that the rest of these nut jobs were ready to add Kaleetan to the day, and would have if I had not needed to be back in town by 6:00...or at least that's what I told them.

Not surprised at all Benj.  Those guys have a unique makeup of strength and conditioning that surpass most.  If Dave Coleman was with them and not at the Bark Ball the night prior he would have been out there charging it hard as well. 
What is refreshing is the humility and kindness that they all exude among friends and strangers, what a wonderful group of guys that I am blessed to call friends.

Thanks for the skin track up to the entrance to the northwest side, we admired your descent tracks from the summit of Roosevelt. Impressive tour!

Another thanks for the skin track for the first half of the trip around Chair.  The guy that broke the quick track up to Melakwa Pass also broke 90% of the way up to Bryant Col, he was an animal!  I think his trail breaking speed was still faster than my skinning speed...  Luckily we had some extra beer at the car to donate to the cause for all his hard work. 

Great day in the mountains.

Nice job guys...way to rack up the vert! 

stellar tour and way to get after it. 
it was nice meeting a few of you up on mount snoqualmie a few weeks back before we all descended the north side.

Reply to this TR

march-6-2011-roosevelt-nw-side-and-bryant-couloir
ryanl
2011-03-07 00:30:03