Home > Trip Reports > March 6, 2011, Bullion Basin

March 6, 2011, Bullion Basin

3/6/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Ar_Campbell on 3/6/11 12:32pm
Steve L and I left Tacoma early on Sunday with a car packed full of skis and dogs for a half day of church in the Bullion Basin. We hit the Crystal parking lot around 8:30 and checked in with Patrol who confirmed this persistent weak layer we've been hearing about. That said, we elected for the more aggressive track uphill rather than the safer approach in the trees, a decision we certainly weren't alone on. Overall, conditions were surprisingly good with clear skies above and some great snow below. We didn't stick around for the heat of the day but the S/SW aspects we skied felt plenty stable to me. 

I imagine we'll get more technical details from another group we met on the way down who had headed further up the (steeper) ridge to the east. They made some damn fine turns and were in good spirits as we passed on the way back down to lot C.
That's one Powder Hound!

I would still be suspect on the North, NW and West Slopes at 6800-5000 ft too. The snow feels stable on the surface, but go down 4 ft and there is a hoar layer that is supporting the load. If/when it goes it's going to be big and ugly.
The difficult thing is that it's spotty. There have been some HUGE fractures over the last week on the above stated aspects in the Crystal area. Even in lower terrain that usually does not have big fractures, I have heard reports of fractures over 500 feet across.

Careful out there.
I was in the Crytal sidecountry yesterday and after skiing some < 30 deg slopes, I felt worried enough about steeper stuff to do a pit before going onto it( which I didn't after my pit)
CT24, at 48" with Q1.... like a filing cabinet. West Facing, 6400 ft on hoar crystals. IF it goes ... it's going to go big!

No arguments there, we definitely played it safe on the way down. We headed back to the car through the trees, via the drainage below our track up. Steve recalled a large slide above that area which swept a few folks into the trees below a while back. There wasn't any clear evidence of instability above us but like you said- if it had gone, it would have gone big.

It's all too easy to enjoy a nice gentle slope without stoping to look above and consider the inclination of gravity... 

Reply to this TR

march-6-2011-bullion-basin
Ar_Campbell
2011-03-06 20:32:50