Home > Trip Reports > February 27, 2011, Snoqualmie Pass

February 27, 2011, Snoqualmie Pass

2/27/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 2/27/11 11:18am
Austrian Alfred and I wanted to tour, so the pass it was. Three laps on all aspects but SE through NE from pass level to 5k+, hiding mostly in the trees. Snow was merely excellent after yesterday's outstanding.

Stability - got a tiny soft settlement on a SW aspect early in the day at ~4k, no others. Skiing, even thigh+ deep in small clearings at 30-38 degrees didn't get anything to move. I'm convinced the hoar layer's still lurking, even at 4k, but we escaped its notice. The arrival of the storm came with denser snow - by 1pm the new was willing to sluff atop the old. By 3pm, trailbreaking was becoming harder with a 3" frosting on the angel cake. Should be fun to run control routes at Alpental.

Tree bombs: The rising winds started floating the snow load from the trees, sometimes <i>en masse<i>. Turns out that when they're lower density snow, they fall long enough that if you're looking up, you can get out of the way (until the powder cloud leaves you crouched, blind, and hoping). Helmets would not have gone amiss; goggles were handy. Neither Alfred nor I will forget the experience.
chair two devotees were experience those tree bombs en mass as well  :D

Reply to this TR

february-27-2011-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2011-02-27 19:18:50