Home > Trip Reports > Feb 26, 2010, Cave Ridge to Kendall Lks (variation)

Feb 26, 2010, Cave Ridge to Kendall Lks (variation)

2/26/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by blitz on 2/27/11 9:54am
This is variation on the theme of the day:

Sat 9:30 Brian, Kurt and I entered Commonwealth via the PCT. Solo skier Gordo joined us. We crossed the creek and followed a skin track to Cave Ridge where we found Murray, Matt and Scott, lapping the treed slopes.

We continued on to Cave Ridge where we dug a reassuring pit on a 25deg slope ~5000ft NE aspect.  27 cm powder, on top of well settled snow with a poorly defined layer 57cm and a crust at 110cm. Rutschblock €“ the 27cm of light fluffy powder spilled away loosely with a jump, The deeper snow failed after several jumps at ~57 cm and the 110 crust we didn€™t break at all.

Skiing back to Commonwealth,  there was sun crust on upper non-treed southeast slopes. The snow was loose and light, lower in the trees. Since it had been worked over well by our friends,  we wandered on. We meant to go to the southwest slopes under Red Mt, but instead we crossed the slide path between Red and Kendall and climbed south thru Kendall trees which had been the venue for a frenzied Friday play day. Whoohoo, way to go!

And so we kept climbing and climbing climbing and climbing.  Until we rounded the south ridge of Kendall  onto the slopes above the Kendall Lakes.  Finally at  4:45 we stopped climbing (silly to go further). We de-skinned, donned our helmets, stuffed PJB sandwiches in our mouths and started skiing.

And what a lovely surprise. Marvelous blower powder down to Kendall Lakes.  More adventure navigating the creeks and trees below the lakes until we found the nifty logging road that wended its way back to Hyak.  Arrived at the second TH at 6:30.

What a day!

Nice find! I take some responsibility for Friday's Kendall pillage  :). I was surprised to find sun crust near Stevens on Saturday as well considering how cold it was.

Here's a link to a Scribble map I put  together.

Guye Peak

Kendall Powder

feb-26-2010-cave-ridge-to-kendall-lks-variation
blitz
2011-02-27 17:54:34