Home > Trip Reports > A typical McCall saturday

A typical McCall saturday

2/15/11
Posted by mccallboater on 2/27/11 7:21am
The amazing thing about west central Idaho is the consistancy of good snow and good weather.  We don't get head deep powder very often, but other than that, I've never skied any other place with day after day of good to great skiing.  Saturday was no exception.

Jughandle, the McCall local's backcountry hill of choice when avi conditions are saying no to steeper stuff.

3-4 days since the last significant snow, yet conditions were very pleasant.  Cold, -16f at the airport that morning.

Jim Fairchild raced by us on the climb up and got first tracks.

No worries about slides up there.  20-30 degree slopes.

Keith having fun on gear that's older than his kid, who is now  a college graduate.

Thanks for the TR and photos. 

Seeing Tamarack is now open Thursday thru Sunday, can you tour there when the area is closed ?

I don't see why not.  The N facing chair isn't open this winter, so those runs should be good.  The actual stand of Tamarack that gives the name to the resort is on the N boundary of the area.  Sweet tree skiing with no tree wells to worry about.  Plus one can skin up from the westside road on the way to the resort.  That's what locals have done for years before the resort was a gleam in a real estate developer's eye.  McCall is about the southern most spot in the Rockies with Western Larch, so one can expect it to be good skiing wherever those trees grow.  Kind of like Alpine Larch in the interior ranges of BC.

Awesome!  I just spent a week in McCall in early Feb skiing with my brother who moved to town last fall (he loves it:).  Great terrain and excellent snow you have out there.  We used sleds to access the skiing, highlights included Sawtooth and some beautiful couloirs above Twin Lakes.

Good! You discovered one of the other not-so-secret playgrounds, up the Lick Creek Road.  Stuff like this (pics from two seasons ago, but similar conditions to right now)

The upper half of one of my favorite runs.

The lower half

On the way to the top of Sawtooth.  Over 3K of vertical on this run.

Reply to this TR

a-typical-mccall-saturday
mccallboater
2011-02-27 15:21:16