Home > Trip Reports > February 26, 2011, Snoqualmie Pass

February 26, 2011, Snoqualmie Pass

2/26/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 2/26/11 8:44am
Forecast snow arrived earlier than expected. Nice 20" light powder on open NW slopes. Wind was quiet thankfully.

http://vimeo.com/20423460
We got a few small settlements off sunny aspects, powder on shady ones. One sluffy release to a crust ~18" down on a steeper roll in the trees, minimal propagation. Good skiing - interested to see how it changes Sunday.

Glad you got some windless goods Silas.  I ended up in town trying to kick this lung problem.  That video is killing me!

Thanks for cutting the uptrack Silas (Charlie)! On a nearby meadow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackmc/5482681654/in/set-72157626156456562/

Silas - I like your tralbreaking style  ;)
Indeed, thanks Charlie!

At the end of our second run (part of which Jack has in his linked video) one member of our party said, in essence "That's the best snow I've ever skied in Washington, and I'm going to have to tell the folks I went to Powder Creek in BC two weeks ago that it was better than anything we had there..." While I've had a few outings with perhaps slightly better snow, I think that may be splitting hairs. Wow.

We also had some slough management to do on a few particularly steep bits in the trees, the only sensitive snow I saw (i.e. fracturing as I skied through it) was small pockets on the sides of wind rolls w/in maybe 30 yards of the ridge crest above 5K. Though the wind was not strong, there was a steady breeze coming toward the aspect we all skied - I suspect that the other side of the ridge would have been a very different story yesterday. Telemetry shows what my fingers told me  as well - that the possible afternoon warming that had been predicted didn't  really come.

Snow cover down low was still a bit sketchy - areas that can be fun to ski were more "technical" with open holes  and even some rocks still reachable by ski edges in woods near the highway.

Where exactly is the run you guys did?  I'm curious about where at the pass that nice slot in the trees was.

Dr. Telemark

Nice video Silas, and some strong skiers making some sweet turns!

Great vid Silas. I was out in CPB and experienced the same conditions. What a great day for skiing!!

Reply to this TR

february-26-2011-snoqualmie-pass
silaswild
2011-02-26 16:44:30