Home > Trip Reports > February 25, 2011, Mt Rainier Mazama Ridge

February 25, 2011, Mt Rainier Mazama Ridge

2/25/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by powcarvin on 2/25/11 11:45pm
Came across skier who feel in creek while crossing bridge that collapsed. Amazing she was unhurt. More to follow
Any followup on this--was that Cecilly? (young woman, black helmet, tele gear?).  Which creek?

I'm the woman who fell in.  Liz, not Cecilly.  I was ascending toward Mazama Ridge following the usual route up from the big bend in Stevens Canyon Rd.  Not sure of the name of the creek there.  The bridge had 5+ feet of snow on it.  I was following a track right down the middle of the bridge where others, including my husband just a few feet in front, had passed.  In an instant, the snow fell out from under me and I found myself laying on my back in the creek below.  I'm generally pretty cautious, but had no second thoughts about crossing that bridge.  Just goes to show...

Miraculously, I was wet but basically ok.  My backpack and the snow must have absorbed most of the impact.  It was, maybe a 15' drop.  The creek walls were steep and covered in loose snow that I didn't think I could climb.  Going upstream to flatter ground would have required walking in the water, which I wasn't eager to do.  Since it was early in the day and I was pretty close to the parking lot, I opted to wait for help. 

I changed into warm, dry clothes and waited while my husband went for help.  He returned with 2 young men who set up an anchor and dropped me a harness & rope.  I was able to prusik out.  I'm very, very grateful to them.

Hmmm, I am confused about which bridge this is. The standard route to Mazama Ridge via the Steven's Canyon Road begins at 4th Crossing and I am not aware of any required bridge crossings on that route?

Taking the high route from the Paradise parking lot would take you over the Edith Creek log bridge (a sometimes edgy crossing for me). Then to another bridge below Bundy's, another pucker crossing for the Jibber.

Can someone help clarify for me?

LuckyL indeed! Glad to hear you are fine Liz and welcome the the TAY posting community.

thanks for the post Liz.  There is some confusion.  The road from Paradise Parking Lot to the Stevens Canyon Road is the Paradise Valley Road.  The Stevens Canyon Road is the 1st right above Narada Falls Parking Lot going up hill.  The "normal" ascent to Mazama Ridge from the Paradise Valley Raod is just across the 4th crossing  bridge, beginning up along the right side of the Paradise River which is the "creek" the flows over Sluiskin Falls and continues down the Paradise Valley.  A "common" ascent of Mazama from Paradise Valley Road is to head up hill just a little before the bridge over the Paradise River.  This route forces you to later cross the Paradise River either on the snow covered footbridge that is part of the Skyline Trail or on a snow bridge somewhere above the footbridge.  These snowbridges crossing the Paradise River can be hazardous; I just discussed this with one of the LEO/bc rangers and there are going to put out warnings about that and other hazards.  Of course, many people cross these bridge without problems, just like many people ski unstable slopes, do unsafe traverses across or below unstable slopes, etc. and get away with it.

Sorry you had your accident, it something that I personally have a phobia about--every crevasse, big drain hole in the snow, and open creeks aside snow bridges all call my name with a siren call.  Glad you are O.K.

author=JibberD link=topic=19884.msg84252#msg84252 date=1298854637]
Then to another bridge below Bundy's, another pucker crossing for the Jibber.

I assume that's the one. I do not like that bridge. We usually figure out a way to cross higher up the creek.

Was it a snow bridge, or an actual bridge with snow piled up on it?  Good job you had dry clothes with you!  I usually don't carry enough for that kind of misfortune.  Welcome to TAY.

Yes I know that bridge and it can get weird . Gives me the creeps .
Liz ,Thanks for relaying your experience.
,One thing I try to do is to get my ski partners to carry a couple carabiners , two  or 3 slings
With one fitted to thier size/length as a diaper harness. A small rope,a couple prussick loops  and belay device .
This is not a full crevasse rescue kit  but a enough gear to handle your situation, belay for ski cut,  snowpit or short rap.

I'm the original poster on this thread. I apologize of the lack of information. I have some great photos that tell the story however I'm to technically challenged to format them correctly.

There is no doubt that if Liz did not fall someone else surely would have. The track laid to the bridge became a magnet for others that day. This crossing can easily be avoided by crossing the creek on the Paradise Valley Road.

As the sport of BC skiing has exploded with popularity these past few years I have observed more and more unnessecary risks taken by skiers and snowshoers. My intention of this post was to remind my fellow skiers that one small mistake or risk can have huge consquences. Luckily Liz was uninjured. Her fall was greater than 15'. I will attempt to post the photos again.

Please be diligent in your risk assessments. Keep yourself and fellow skiers safe.

Thanks for the additional info and the photos, powcarvin. I was also skiing at Mazama Ridge that same day, and was very curious where this accident had occurred. Like others, I was wondering "Was it a snow bridge, or an actual bridge with snow piled up on it?"  The photo clearly shows a log bridge with snow piled atop it, which is very important to know. And I'm very glad that you're OK, Liz, that looks like a nasty spot to fall in the creek.

The links to the photos are broken, however, on both attempts.  Since you say you're technically challenged, I hope you don't mind that I uploaded your photos below. Also, here is a link to your photos that works.

Since you're in need of technical assistance, here are some posting tips for you:
* You can find out how I properly linked to your photos by clicking the "Reply with quote" link at the top of my post, which will display the code that I used to make a working link. The "!" in the URL prevents the TAY software from properly linking the bare URL by itself.
* Are you aware that there is a "Modify" link at the top of each of your posts, which lets you edit your post?  So there's no need to make a separate new post to try to fix the broken link, you can simply edit your posts to make any changes. You can also delete any redundant posts with the "Remove" link.
* In this case, it would be nice if you edited your original post to remove all of the junk which was accidentally included at the end (everything after the word "follow"). The subject line is editable too -- proper spelling  ("Rainier", and also "February") not only makes your post more easily searchable by anyone in the future, but it also improves many readers perception of you and enhances your online credibility.

Please take my suggestions in the spirit they are offered, that of trying to assist and help, not as meanness or harsh criticism.

Pow & Amar, thanks for the pics, even tho they give me the creeps!  I've never been able to cross that bridge in the winter and it even bothers me in the summer :-[

Thanks Amar suggestions well received and followed

Reply to this TR

february-25-2011-mt-rainier-mazama-ridge
powcarvin
2011-02-26 07:45:12