Home > Trip Reports > Feb 13-19, 2011, Discovery Cabin, Cariboos

Feb 13-19, 2011, Discovery Cabin, Cariboos

2/13/11
Posted by runningclouds on 2/25/11 12:53pm
A midwinter trip to Wells Grey, a part of BC that is seemingly forgotten for much of winter. Total solitude, cold temperatures and endless dusting of new snow provided a great playground to a bunch of overworked city folks.

The Discovery cabin is a very nice place with propane heating, range and sauna and no internet (bless the owners for not giving in!).

The terrain has everything from mellow tele heaven to steep tree tele hell and great views of the Cariboos and the Monashees.

Magic place, highly recommended!

Slideshow:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72157625979419877/

Nice photos. I've been canoeing at Azure Lake and Myrtle lake during the summer. Always looked at the peaks and wondered about skiing them during the winter. Did you guys check out the falls?

Great TR and photos.  I really enjoyed the photo of "Ian's Milk Run".  Veggie belay's remind me: Been there - done that - geez were we lucky !   ;)

lrudholm: no we did not make it to the waterfalls, I know they plow the road all the way to the parking lot but we run out of time on our ski out. I imagine it must be a pretty spectacular icefall.

Zap: I like the term veggie belay a lot. Once a year is about the right dosage.

Thanks!

Reply to this TR

feb-13-19-2011-discovery-cabin-cariboos
runningclouds
2011-02-25 20:53:05