Home > Trip Reports > November 28, 2004, Paradise

November 28, 2004, Paradise

11/28/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by amy on 11/28/04 7:10am
Well, it was another beautiful day skiing with ronj and crew (sadly, no MadDog or Stefan this time).  After the gates opened we all headed up to the Paradise parking lot where we found calm, sunny skies, great views and quite a few fellow skiers.  We started out on the main path towards Panorama Point but soon veered off to find some fresh snow towards the Nisqually.  After passing up some areas with spotty coverage, we headed to Glacier Vista where we found 6-8 inches of fresh, trackless powder.  Just enough freshies to make for some great skiing despite the icy crust underneath.  We spent the day on the west slopes and had it to ourselves except for a few skiers on their way back up from the Nisqually Chutes.  To top it all off, we had a spectacular view of an avalanche high up on the glacier - really amazing - hopefully, Jerry got some good video!
Thanks for reporting Amy, quite a day! I was skiing when that slide ocurred up on the mountain, but I caught the cloud of smoke from it @ should have another short video soon.
 Good skiing with you all!

Very nice photo's Jerry, looks like I missed a great day in Paradise.  I'm back from the "other" Paradise  :D and looking forward to skiing this next weekend.  

Great report from a perfect day. My head is still up there on the mountain. How will I ever get any work done today?

You said it Jimjar!!!!!!

I had a great time - thanks all to letting me tag along!

nice report amy, sounds like I missed a good one.

Amy, many of us would appreciate hearing from you and the "Rainier Regulars" what time the gate opens. I hope you will report gate opening times in your future posts. Thanks.

Gate opened around 9:30ish on Sunday.

I glad someone took photos, I didn't get up there until noon. Totally forgot to take a camera.  Although I have been hiking and snowshoeing on Rainier many times, I am a newbie to bc skiing, so I wasn't too sure how it would work out. But skiing that stuff was awesome!

Tried out some purple skins and alpine trekkers for the first time. It worked but I wasn't very fast.  Pretty heavy with the Pocket Rockets.   I was able to skin up some pretty steep stuff, I think better than snowshoes.
The ride down was so nice!  Those soft tips nicely bent up to ride the powder.

That fog rolled in so fast about 2:30, I was a little worried for a few minutes about finding my way down.  But it sort of cleared. Great sunset!

JW - Thanks for the pics - Beautiful!

No problem Rux.  Here's this week's attempt at film splicing.

JW - Well, the video is perfect.  I was hanging around the lower end of Glacier Vista trying to teach my step grandson from Florida (first time in snow) how to snowboard while I was messing around with the skis.  I am sure that all you guys went zipping by me on the way down.

Jerry, you're turning into a regular "Warren Miller".  Fantastic viddy.  I played it twice right off, with a big Chessy Cat grin on my face  ;D, the whole time.  Very nice still shots, too.
Amy, your trip report was Perfect  ;).  Thanks for doing it.
Very nice group, gang.  Next week it will even be better 'cause we'll have Stefan and the MadDog to add to the eclectic mix.
This stuff's really fun, eh?
Rock on  8)

Great video Jerry!!  ;D

Awesome video. Thanks Jerry for catching such a great time on film. Hopefully this will get me though the next 4 days.

Cool video, Jerry!!!

great video Jerry! looked like great snow out there.

Awesome video - im watching it for the third time from my little cave of an office here at work ;D

The video really provides a great documentation of the day. Great job and great skiing.

A totally awesome day of skiing! I can't think of a better introduction to skiing with Ron J's TAY crew.

It was great meeting and skiing with all of you. Great video Jerry...I've only watched it 3 times so far, but will undoubtedly watch a bunch more.

I will post some pics after I get through reviewing the 120 or so that I took...

Kevin

;D

Fun video, Jerry. From the sound of it, it's time you investigated pay-per-view.

Whose very unsteady hand is responsible for that footage of you skiing?  Not, I trust, the same person recommending that face-planters resort to foul language...?  Or is that part of your marketing strategy?

enjoy,

Mark

Mark, you're just WAY too smart for your own britches.
And besides, you know how frustrating it is to be head-down/slippery side-up in Utah pow so cold you can't even gasp a breath of clear air.  
As you are surely aware, such an instance sometimes justifies the breach of our society's narrow and fragile boundaries of censorship in favor of the maintenance of some semblance of positive self image on the part of the disgraced subject.
As I'm also sure you would agree, it was the only humanly graceful option available.  I cannot envision you doing any less under similar circumcisions, no, wait, I mean, similar Circumstances.

such an instance sometimes justifies the breach of our society's narrow and fragile boundaries of censorship in favor of the maintenance of some semblance of positive self image on the part of the disgraced subject...

No way I'm arguing with this guy.  He's way too loquacious...errr...erudite...naw, uhhh....GLIB!, yeah, that's it: way too glib.

:)
Look who's talkin'...
Markharf, the master of the great read;
the master or the prolific TR.
I have serious doubts you'd shy from anyone in a battle with words.  I think you are simply a courteous chap that gives deference and respect to senility and old age.
Whatever the reason, I thank you.
;)

Here's a link to my pics from this adventure. I  hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

http://community.webshots.com/album/225875766UWolRV?905

Kevin

Nice shots Kevin!  Thanks  

For those who are interested, we did 2221 vert ft of ascent, 2254 vert descent, according to my Suunto S6. And we were out for 5:17.

Or should I say, we all did at least the above...everyone else climbed a bit higher for their 3rd and/or 4th runs.

Kevin

Yeah, Kevin, Very nice camera work.  And thanks for the stats.

It has occured to me that no one had taken advantage of our one photo quota for this thread;
who better to appear than Amy - Master TR Writer:

photo: Warren Miller (aka Jerry White)

Phew - thanks for not picking the face plant/foul language picture  :)

Reply to this TR

november-28-2004-paradise
amy
2004-11-28 15:10:26