Home > Trip Reports > Feb 23, 24 North Cascades East Side Face Shot Vid

Feb 23, 24 North Cascades East Side Face Shot Vid

2/15/11
Posted by Jeff_Ward on 2/25/11 6:55am
These have to be the best ski conditions of the year and it looks like it's going to stick around for a while.  I spent the last week at the Barron Yurt guiding several trips.  We had great ski conditions and stability over the weekend and a foot of new snow mid-week with temperatures hovering around zero.  The stability is surprisingly good considering all of the new snow, but we are still getting sudden planar (Q1) results on a sun crust/facet combo that is now down about 60 cms at 6,000'.

Video of some face shots.  http://ncmountainguides.com/permalink.asp?id=627#627
Sounds like another shameless commercial post? 

Sounds like a conditions report with stability information thrown in for good measure...

Nice Vid!

Powski:

Do you mean shameless, or Seamusless?

Do you mean "sounds" or looks?

Do you have some kind of issue going on here in TAY-land?

Sick commercial, Jeff. Thanks for the effort.

Paul

Love your videos Jeff and your choice of music to go with them. This one just great.
Damn , it looks so good up there.

" but it took true motivation to put the skis down for a day"..... I bet it did with conditions like that, ;D

That looks sick! So are you using an extension off of your right pole to get that footage? Unreal.

Excellent video...

NCH- re the post. TAY-land, etc.  >>

"You agree to submit any post which might be considered an advertisement to Turns All Year administrators for review prior to posting (there is contact information at the bottom of each Trip Reports page). Failure to do so may result in the post being deleted without warning."

Post must not be deemed too commercial...  good thing.

I'll leave it to more regular TAYers to determine if this post could be judged commercial.  However, the snowpack data was greatly appreciated since I took my son for a tour in Kangaroo Basin (WA Pass hairpin) today.

We found about 8-10 inches of powder since our last visit here on Monday.  Ironically, conditions were better down low - a stout west wind had scoured the ridges above about 6800ft.  We'd planned to drop down the east side of Kangaroo Col (Twisp River drainage) but the snow, at least near the ridge, was fairly wind affected and the better quality snow lower down on N facing aspects beckoned...  No need to go high in order to get light snow when the temperatures are so low!

Jeff was at Harts Pass for 9 days, not Washington Pass.  Different Snotel sites for a reason.

Nice video. I like the pole-mounted camera angle.

The commercial aspect seems pretty simple. If a client had made and posted the video, I don't think anybody would have commented on it. But when a guide makes and posts the video (with an offer of more guiding availability in the future) it seems like a commercial post to me.

This is an isolated case, and it does include good condition info. I won't predict what the moderators may think. I recall that in the past a fellow started posting commercial videos regularly and Charles banned him.

I'm glad some of you liked the video.  I've been playing around with different angles a bit.  For this shot I just mounted it to my ski pole with a ski strap and held it out in front of me.  Pretty simple....

I apologize if these posts seem too commercial.  Maybe I should have gone with an alias.  It would have probably made things easier.  I just wanted people to know where the information was coming from. 

It seems like someone has issues with me personally (or maybe just guides in general).   This person has posted 4 times total and 3 of them have been negative comments towards me.  Not quite sure what I have done to offend this person. 

Just so you know I have written to the moderator and he does not see these post to be an issue at this time.  I was just hoping to share the stoke and give an update on conditions. 

Thanks for posting Jeff, the stoke is appreciated, and it is always nice to get the conditions reports that you share here and you guys post over on NWAC.

- J.P. 

Nobody seems to comment when Adappen makes a post and links to Wenachee Outdoors a non-profit, anti-mechanized website that contains commercial advertising.?????
I like reading both Adappens and Jeff Ward's and can't see the difference myself.
Inherent TAY bias against mechanized skiing???

Reply to this TR

feb-23-24-north-cascades-east-side-face-shot-vid
Jeff_Ward
2011-02-25 14:55:20