Home > Trip Reports > November 28, 2004, Mt. Rainier - Resort Paradise

November 28, 2004, Mt. Rainier - Resort Paradise

11/28/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 11/28/04 5:56am
Pulled into Longmire around 9ish to the likes of the usual crowds and plenty more.  We all chatted as we eagerly waited for the gate to open.  Ah...today was going to be a bluebird day for sure.  The sun just gleamed off the fresh sparkling pow.  Rick and I skinned up to Mazama Ridge and decided to drop a line called "911".  Didn't take much for the snow to slide down to the crust layer from previous days rain/wind in some sections.  The biggest concerns were the landmines underneath, which were well covered in most areas.  So down we went and at the bottom we bumped into Dorthea and friend who were all smiles after taking their first line.  Just after gaining the ridge again we saw Roebe (the only way I could spell it and remember how to pronounce it. :D) and friend drop in and lay some lines.  Since conditions were so good here Rick and I decided to treat ourselves to another, which proved to be better than the first.  By this time a group of 6 or so skiers showed up so things started to get crowded. ;D  Anyway we watched Roebe and friend skin up to another line that we eventually decided to call "912".  We were headed in that direction so we paid him a visit from above.  (Thanx for the spot!)  This ended up being the line that I could hang my hat on.  We all made our way to the bottom of the run and marinated in the sun while watching the party of 6 search for a ski with it's own mind.  Good news is that they ended up finding it.  Anyway Rick and I decided earlier that we wanted to limit the amount of skinning on the way out so our last line would take us up to Golden Gate.  On the way up we bumped into more friends.  As we took one last glance at our lines...damn this place got tracked out!  Conditions here were kine with anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of pow, with the help of mother natures wind of course.  With a little more effort we all reached our drop near Golden Gate.  The slopes here looked tracked out too but we were able to find some untouched near by.  By the time we arrived at the bridge it became whiteout.  What perfect timing.  What can I say...another day in Paradise!
Nice report, Eric.

Thanx.  Can't wait to read what you guys and gals found!

BTW I think I'm starting to go thru powder withdrawls now. ;D

Thanks Eric, sounds like you guy's had as much fun as us!  A great day indeed 8)

When I close my eyes right now all I see is freshiez. Is this normal?

After yesterdays turns yes it is normal. At least that is what I am telling myself.

Eric, right after you left us we decided to take another run. This time we skinned up to 911 ice face and skied easterly tight to gulley to bottom of 912. It was the longest run there.Finally skied out mazama on some unskied snow at 330.Backbowl snow that hadn't seen sun was still powder.
Robie

Robie, I suspect the answer is no but I'm going to ask anyway: do you use superloops with heel lifters implemented by PCV pipe tide around your ankles? I've seen a few photos of you before, and there was someone at the Paradise road bridge with the above setup who looked similar to your photos.

Jeff :  If you want to find Robie, look for the coolest hat !That'll be him 8)

Jeff ,
That was my buddy also named Jeff with the home made heel lifters and super loops. I was the other skier.
Robie

Jeff ,
That was my buddy also named Jeff with the home made heel lifters and super loops. I was the other skier.
Robie

Well then it was very nice meeting you and your friend Jeff. I was wearing the blue helmet, dynafits, miras, and was with the group of three. What was it you and Jeff told us initially? Did you say the heel lifters were incase anyone offered you sake? I'll be sure to bring some along next time.  ;)  

Hmm a hot sake tour might be nice. i could bring my stove. Hey while you mentioned helmet ,early skiing on shallow cover a helmet is good item. Funny late summer skiing i usually wear one.

Reply to this TR

november-28-2004-mt-rainier-resort-paradise
snoslut
2004-11-28 13:56:21