Home > Trip Reports > Feb 22 Mt. Snoqualmie

Feb 22 Mt. Snoqualmie

2/15/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by sconey on 2/23/11 2:36am
Matt and I headed up to the pass, excited about the 9" of fresh, planning on a play it safe day at Hyak.  Upon reaching the pass it was evident that the overnight stormy weather had abated so we elected to go take a look at Mt. Snoqualmie. We headed more or less directly up the phantom, favoring timber where possible.  Once in the open slopes of the upper mountain there was more like 18".  The top four or five inches was prone to cracking and shifting as we skinned up but nothing slid.  The snow and breeze picked up by the time we neared the summit.  We donned puffies, lunched maybe 200' below the summit, then topped out, transitioned and proceeded down the magical fluffy stuff.  Shooting cracks were observed.  We avoided convexities and did not trigger any significant sluffs.  One note:  There is apparently a gravitational anomaly present in the creekbed just above the waterfall.  Just as I attempted to exit the phantom stage right I was sucked into it.  In future I shall give it a wider berth.
"There is apparently a gravitational anomaly present in the creekbed just above the waterfall"  ;D

I fear there may be more of them lurking throughout the mountains we ski.

Went up there today more spur of the moment than anything. Went up somewhere on Kendall. Ended up sessioning a steep section next to a logging road switchback.

Lots of long cracks, and even a 20 ft wide release that didn't go very far down the slope. I have a feeling snoqualmie mtn would have been better with its steep pitch.

Snow is waist deep. So good.

Reply to this TR

feb-22-mt-snoqualmie
sconey
2011-02-23 10:36:35