Home > Trip Reports > Feb 19-20, 2011, Paradise Area

Feb 19-20, 2011, Paradise Area

2/19/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by bcglaxer on 2/22/11 2:44pm
This isn't nearly as exciting as all the crazy trips I've read about this past weekend, but my life is ridiculously hectic and when I have a three day weekend that means doing something easy, but slightly far away. Adventure, but without too much planning and certainly not having to wake up early for it.

Case in point, we slept in on Saturday and headed down to Paradise. I think we arrived sometime after noon. It was sunny and beautiful, and we skined up to the Golden Gate area (I think - it's so much easier to tell where we are in the summertime, but there's less to ski then). At the top, it was a skating rink, but we dug a pit on a south facing slope and found a bomb-proof base covered by 12 inches of powder and a thin, easily breakable crust. Conditions on west-facing slopes was similar, just with 6 inches of powder covered by a slightly thicker crust.  I'm still learning the technical terms, but I couldn't get anything to slide even with shoulder taps (slaps?). The crust quickly disintegrated, then the powder dissipated, and then nothing. The skiing wasn't the easiest because of the crust, but it was plenty fun and the views were phenomenal. So phenomenal we decided to stay the night at Whitaker's bunkhouse and head back up on Sunday.

The sun was out at the Tatoosh on Sunday, but not at Paradise. We skined back up near Golden Gate and then opted for the gentler slope towards the west. The wind was bitter cold, but every once in a while we'd get a small sun break to warm up again. We'd heard from other skiers that the east-facing slopes had good snow with no crust, but we weren't able to find it. Everywhere we went conditions were similar to the day before. No worries, though, as it was still bomber snow and a great time. Skiing around Paradise is so liberating. I've been there tons of times for hikes, but when you're on skis everything changes. A summit is no longer the objective. Fun is heading over the next ridge and seeing what lies around the next corner. Joy can be found everywhere, not just at the top of a hike or climb. During a tour, the journey really is more important than the destination.

Anywho, I would have loved a moon-lit ascent of Shuksan or something, but this was all I had in the cards at this particular moment and it was more than enough to make me happy. I took a few photos and will upload them if I can figure out how to make the file sizes small enough.

Happy Skiing,
Brian
author=bcglaxer link=topic=19824.msg83928#msg83928 date=1298443468]
A summit is no longer the objective. Fun is heading over the next ridge and seeing what lies around the next corner. Joy can be found everywhere, not just at the top of a hike or climb. During a tour, the journey really is more important than the destination....Brian

And that's why somebody here (Chris Cass, Maybe?) invented the Joy-O-Meter equation! 

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=19824.msg83929#msg83929 date=1298445243]
And that's why somebody here (Chris Cass, Maybe?) invented the Joy-O-Meter equation! 

Wooo, that sounds cool. Where do I get mine calibrated?

This isn't nearly as exciting as all the crazy trips I've read about this past weekend

Thanks for the report. Don't think that only the "crazy" trips are appreciated. For me and maybe many others we just want to know if the snow was any good and an idea of how to get there.  A few pictures is always interesting.  Make sure you carry a camera next time.

This isn't nearly as exciting as all the crazy trips ... Exciting can be adrenaline pumping ... or it can mean spirit soaring with the aesthetics of nature in the winter time  ...  summit is no longer the objective. Fun is heading over the next ridge and seeing what lies around the next corner. Joy can be found everywhere, not just at the top of a hike or climb. During a tour, the journey really is more important than the destination....

I couldn't agree more; I can no longer stand to yo-yo, but I find intense satisfaction in touring, especially alone, with no one else around, breaking trail up and across, and making turns down.  Looking back from upon high, seeing a single track through otherwise untouched snow, with a background that includes the Tatoosh, Goat Rocks,  Mts. St. Helen, Adams, and Hood, and a winter sky is thrilling.

Here's a few photos. I didn't take too many. Was having too much fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22929755@N00/sets/72157625999984513/with/5472517631/

Reply to this TR

feb-19-20-2011-paradise-area
bcglaxer
2011-02-22 22:44:28