Home > Trip Reports > Feb 19 and 20. N Gardener Area

Feb 19 and 20. N Gardener Area

2/15/11
Posted by Jake the Brit on 2/22/11 2:11pm
With an eye on N Gardener Jeremy & I left the Early Winters road end Saturday at 11AM & headed 6 miles up the road & Cedar Creek to the junction with the Shelokum Creek Valley.
Le Shwack up the Shelokum Creek Valley lasted until about 5.00pm and 5 or 5.5K when we realized that to get to N Gardener we were going to be banging those bushes well into the dark, and we€™d still have to get up stupidly early and monk our way up the west slopes of N Gardener.
So we went back to the valley, had a lovely big fire and got cold feet.
Woke up late, skinned up the slope over the ridge to the south of Varden lake through some perfect, spaced trees on stable powder and crust and enjoyed spotting future lines on the slopes of N Gardener and the Shelokum ridge.
Got to the 7K ridge-top just after the sun had gone round the corner, brilliant views into the Silver Star & Silver Moon bowls, turned the slope to 1€ breakable crust. We skied the crust through those great, steep glades. The ski was a bit disappointing but the trip was great. I learnt that while the avi aspect is crucially important, the slope aspect with relation to the sun is also key. We should have picked a north facing slope after 2 days of blue-bird.
Also €“ down booties.
I have been into the both Gardner and North Gardner a few times.  Shelokum Lake is approached, as best I can remember, by traversing in from the east.  Slopes above it are steep enough to only want to climb from there in stable conditions.  When I tried to get into it directly from Cedar Creek the trees seemed thicker and progress ground to a halt. 

The best way to get to the peaks is to cross Cedar Creek earlier (below the falls) and get on the moderate ridge that heads  up the west side of Huckleberry Creek (this is a nice run in itself up to over 7200 feet).  At some point we traversed left and climbed up Hucklebery Creek itself.  The top of the creek, under both Gardners, at about 6,200 feet, is a spectacular spot.  The Gardner Glacier Couloir leads up nearly 3,000 vertical to the summit of Gardner.  It is one of the best runs in the range.  Not really steep, but steep enough to be treated with great caution.  Gardner gets a lot of wind and it's hard to know what conditions are like at 9,000 feet from a vantage point 3,000 feet lower.  N. Gardner is also accessible from the same spot.  Straightforward climbing gets you to the top of a bowl at about 8500 feet.  The last 500 feet looks doable, but not so simple, and I haven't tried it.

NC Heli sometimes flies into the region (not often , though) and you should ask them for up to date snow conditions info.  Eric Burr, in Mazama, may have a clearer memory than I do of detailed route info, and it would be worth it to talk to him.

Ironic that you made fun of YN and I for buying FF down booties just last week!  You should be aware that they worked GREAT last weekend.

author=Jake the Brit link=topic=19823.msg83926#msg83926 date=1298441480]
With an eye on N Gardener Jeremy & I left the Early Winters road end Saturday at 11AM & headed 6 miles up the road & Cedar Creek to the junction with the Shelokum Creek Valley.

It's snowing there now. I take it the road is not yet plowed past Early Winters? And how did you cross Cedar Creek? On a log or wading?

I've skied that ridge where you got your run in but I approached from the side trail right near the Cedar Creek TH. It was a great ski. Little too far for a day trip if you have park at Early Winters.

Did you happen to notice if Doe Canyon was in good shape?

author=sb link=topic=19823.msg83934#msg83934 date=1298478756]
The best way to get to the peaks is to cross Cedar Creek earlier (below the falls) and get on the moderate ridge that heads  up the west side of Huckleberry Creek (this is a nice run in itself up to over 7200 feet).  At some point we traversed left and climbed up Hucklebery Creek itself.  The top of the creek, under both Gardners, at about 6,200 feet, is a spectacular spot.  The Gardner Glacier Couloir leads up nearly 3,000 vertical to the summit of Gardner.  It is one of the best runs in the range. 

Sounds great! Is that a day trip to the summit? What about approaching from Sandy Butte?

It can be done as a long day trip - best maybe in late March or April.  It certainly makes sense to camp in there and do both peaks.

Thanks for the TR and photos.  It jogged some old memories. Way back in the spring of 1997, I put together a small group to ski Gardner.  After studying the topos and talking to Eric Burr, we decided to have NCH shuttle us into the basin below the summit.  We setup a base camp and spent a couple days’ peak bagging and touring.  Great terrain.  A storm cycle moved in early and our exit route seemed painful.  So we paid for the limo to fly us out between shuttles with the Warren Miller film crew.  Airtime was relatively cheap then and we were all gainfully employed.  ;)

author=stoked link=topic=19823.msg83942#msg83942 date=1298494896]
It's snowing there now. I take it the road is not yet plowed past Early Winters? And how did you cross Cedar Creek? On a log or wading?

I've skied that ridge where you got your run in but I approached from the side trail right near the Cedar Creek TH. It was a great ski. Little too far for a day trip if you have park at Early Winters.

Did you happen to notice if Doe Canyon was in good shape?

Road ploughed to Early Winters.
Cedar Creek crossing really easy on snow bridge/ pillows.
I'm afraid I don't know where Doe Canyon is so I can't comment.

Thanks everyone for the excellent further information.

Reply to this TR

feb-19-and-20-n-gardener-area
Jake the Brit
2011-02-22 22:11:20