Home > Trip Reports > Feb 21 Chiwaukum Cirque

Feb 21 Chiwaukum Cirque

2/15/11
Posted by savegondor on 2/21/11 12:41pm
Tour began at Cascade Meadows for this northfacing cirque.  This was supposed to be a recon mission but 4,197 vertical feet later I found myself within spitting distance of the top.  since snow stability was impossible to predict (ice, wind-blown, soft powder with variable cohesion) I didn't tempt the gods by booting up one of the myriad of chutes.  as it was I was VERY satisfied to find lots of nice powder and to have gotten up over 6000 feet of elevation. 

I got to say, beautiful access.  Did the whole tour on skis, no walking.  Met some other folks from Seattle that I started to follow into a tangled mess of alder.  Then I thought..'no way man I'm taking the freaking logging road.'  Road spit me in to a beautiful 2500 vert cirque.  Had a beautiful ski, dog was happy, I was happy, and my new 22 designs touring bindings rocked. 

nuff said. 

Got some more photos??? Thats a cool place huh

author=mick_scott link=topic=19804.msg83853#msg83853 date=1298351165]
Got some more photos??? Thats a cool place huh

yes. very cool. 

I've admired that cirques from SR 2 for many years.  :)

author=telemack link=topic=19804.msg83861#msg83861 date=1298357842]
I've admired that cirques from SR 2 for many years.   :)

yeah one of my goals this winter is to find epic tours with lots of verts within striking distance of Seattle that are 1)not mt Rainier/Crystal 2)not on the passes proper.  This one tops Jim Hill I'd say for the area. 

I would say to be very careful to not block access to the church camp or space for the plow to turn around at the end of the road.  If there's not enough room to pull off, please shovel yourself a spot.

Nice, I have been digging your recent condition recon off of 2.

If you want a one day epic with lots of vert from the same spot, here is a much better way to access the swath.

http://www.whereiskylemiller.com/?p=1209

IMO, One of the two best tours you can do from highway 2 in a day.

I didn't go up and over as you did...but I went up that same logging road.  Also...at least at this point one wouldn't want to do your down route ...without being willing to sacrifice your boards to a few rocks...the real snow started at about 4000 to 4500 feet. 

But Yeah...I love that epic access.  Hopefully we'll get closer to normal snowpack by late spring....would be an epic spring tour. 

author=savegondor link=topic=19804.msg83900#msg83900 date=1298415030]
I didn't go up and over as you did...but I went up that same logging road.  Also...at least at this point one wouldn't want to do your down route ...without being willing to sacrifice your boards to a few rocks...the real snow started at about 4000 to 4500 feet. 

But Yeah...I love that epic access.  Hopefully we'll get closer to normal snowpack by late spring....would be an epic spring tour. 

ohhhh, you came down that logging road not up.... nice.  I'm not so sure which direction would be better.  I was near 7000 feet in three hours.  It seems like going backwords you exact tour would be faster?  what do you think?

Reply to this TR

feb-21-chiwaukum-cirque
savegondor
2011-02-21 20:41:55