Home > Trip Reports > November 21, 2004, Paradise

November 21, 2004, Paradise

11/21/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 11/21/04 6:39pm
Our regular gang (less MadDog, who's off in her bikini performing Corona percolation tests on the beaches of Mexico) inherited a scheduled Mounties trip as a result of the published leader's last minute conflict.  
In that we intended to be in the area anyway, it seemed a small price to pay to have the published leader eternally indebted to Stefan, Jerry and myself.
Indeed the scheduled participants of the Mountie's trip that showed, Richard, Jiri, Peter, Eric and Ann were all delightful folks, and all perfectly capable of taking care of themselves and having fun in the snow.  I addition we were joined by Julia, Amy Jimjar, Eric and Evan, some of our "semi-regulars" that we see from time to time.
We made a pretty good day of it skiing north, south, east and west aspects at least once during the day. Snow coverage had improved on the average by about a foot from the deposition of Thursday, and it had been moved around and sculpted pretty good by the winds of Friday.  Bonding of the new snow to the very firm old base was quite good.  It appeared that the depisition had started in relatively warm temps.
On south facing aspects there was about a one inch crust above the base snow, possibly a sun or rain crust following a dusting prior to the major dump of Thursday.  That little 1" crust layer on south aspects (Edith Basin) might be worth watching as it seems like it might develop into a weak layer against the base slab below.
Stefan, Jerry and others were flashing their lenses around so I suspect we might see some pics from the trip at some point.
Had access to a computer and thought I would check on everyone at home.  Ron's right, I'm off doing some Mexico stuff for a little while. Don't worry there isn't any snow to report about here in Puerto Vallerta  8)  It's hot and fun!!  Did manage to do a jungle zip line canopy tour today.  Consists of 13 zip lines though the jungle at various heights.  The highest one being 450 feet above the jungle floor and 1,000 feet long.  Takes you from the jungle, across the river, and onto the other side!!!  Pretty amazing.  Nice to have had lots of Glacier Travel training to know all the in's and out's of the safety lines, harnesses etc.  Hope you are all enjoying the skiing. (Off for deep sea fishing on Wednesday.  Will return after Thanksgiving.)  :D

Reply to this TR

november-21-2004-paradise
ron j
2004-11-22 02:39:10