Home > Trip Reports > May 6, 2001, Cowlitz Rocks, Mt. Rainier NP

May 6, 2001, Cowlitz Rocks, Mt. Rainier NP

5/6/01
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 9/15/02 10:40am
With old ski partner Nitzy "Noodles" coming off the injured reserve we went looking for something easy. Noodles and I left the sunny parking lot at paradise at 9am and headed up for Cowlitz rocks on frozen crust. Saw what I now know as Andy and Regines tracks in back bowl. Should have known from the preciseness. We made good time, enjoyed lunch and leisurely discussion up on the rocks while waiting for the slope to soften a bit. Kinda like a pr of old dogs. Right next to us was a small cornice hole that gave a interesting perspective on the big drop down to the Cowlitz. Also watched the show on the Muir route and surprised that no one came down the Paradise glacier (Looked very doable from our vantage point). With bright sunshine and negliglbe wind we skied down on some very fine corn. Of course south slopes were a little sloppy but all west facing was perfect including the bigger slope on Mazama. Some wet snow sloughing on east and south slopes. We returned to the parking lot early and the hot pavement on bare feet felt good. I guess you can't hear any thing while in a crevasse, cause I yelled at big crevasse party. Last note : on the way driving out 2 partys were seen at nisqually bridge after skiing the glacier. There exit tracks were seen high and final exit was on the east side of the river. One individual was an old whitebeard?

Robie

Reply to this TR

may-6-2001-cowlitz-rocks-mt-rainier-np
Robie
2002-09-15 17:40:51