Home > Trip Reports > Feb 19, 2011, Chair Pk and Mt.Roosevelt's backside

Feb 19, 2011, Chair Pk and Mt.Roosevelt's backside

2/19/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Pete A on 2/19/11 12:47pm
Ross, Bob, Becky, and I got an early start this morning to ski the north slope of Chair then head over to Roosevelt and ski a line that is somewhat hidden from the usual Snow Lake vantage points. We were basically following the same path as a tour that was done by Dave Perkins and Monika Johnson last year: http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/942120/TR_Mt_Roosevelt_2_16_2010#Post942120

Conditions on the north slope of Chair were excellent this morning, though by late in the day, it sure looked like plenty of folks had been tracking it up.   Once back at Snow Lake we toured towards Roosevelt and veered off the Chair Peak circumnav skin track and booted for the summit ridge of Roosevelt.   The snow was starting to get a little thick in the sun...the weather was fantastic, no wind, bright sun, and powder waiting in the shade. We skied back over to the notch that provided an easy entrance into the hidden west couloir/bowl off the backside of Roosevelt.  The snow was slightly wind affected up high but quickly turned into perfect shin deep powder. 

We wrapped back around to the slopes below Wright Mtn and climbed back to the Gem Lake divide above Snow Lake.   Once back across Snow Lake and up at the divide we tried to find decent snow on the slopes above Source Lake, but between sun and hundreds of skier tracks it€™s pretty thrashed. 

It was a long day, but we were psyched to get out well before dark.  If you can find shady slopes up there tomorrow, there€™s still lots of good snow to be hit.

Pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/petealderson/ChairPeakAndMtRooseveltSki#
Fabulous!  Hope it lasts until Monday.

Nice job getting after it!  That one been on the list for a few years, would love to get back there sometime.

Great pictures! I've left Washington, and I sure miss Snoq. Pass. Thanks for letting me visit vicariously.

Hi Pete,
I met you at the end of Snow Lake on the way out.  Nice talking with you guys, and seeing your Monika Kitty.  Great pictures of your tour - thanks!, because mine came out crappy.

After I discovered there were little slices of un-sun-affected powder going down to Source Lake I had a really nice ski down to the luge run.  If I stayed tucked into a north side of one of the little creek drainages, it was still very soft..

Nice pictures! Wish Monika and I had the weather and snow conditions you all had. Fun route regargless.

Nice photos!  Thanks for sharing. 

awesome pictures! im jealous. Well done

Nice trip Pete and co.- pictures are great.

Pete and Becky:  back in the saddle again.....Great outing you two

Wow! What a great day! This is a sweet tour with two great descents, a nice peak tag, and some beautiful old growth touring north of Roosevelt.
Pete, your photos are spectacular!
Here are a few more…
https://picasaweb.google.com/brsheh/2011_02_19_RooseveltSki?authkey=Gv1sRgCKHp56WX1bvitAE#

Reply to this TR

feb-19-2011-chair-pk-and-mt-roosevelt-s-backside
Pete A
2011-02-19 20:47:49