Home > Trip Reports > Feb1 Sloan, Bedal, Pugh, White Chuck FAIL

Feb1 Sloan, Bedal, Pugh, White Chuck FAIL

2/15/11
Posted by savegondor on 2/19/11 9:18am
I hate the mountain loop HWY.  so many temptations....so many roads washed out...so much angst.  Started with Bedal/Sloan and got a nice 300 vert run.  Just didn't feel like bush wacking up to the snowfields.  Drove down....tried a bunch of other roads...nothing.  Then the real trouble began.  Stopped by the Ranger Station to get some beta and a map and left with a suggestion for logging roads up toward White Chuck.  I swear I was just going to have a look at the approach.  But I was amped and not thinking very clearly which was how I found myself throttling my AWD suby with 2 inches of ground clearance up ice-packed snowmobile-packed logging roads.  My dog was crying and so was my soul.  So at 1pm I stopped driving...with dog going nuts in the passenger seat I backed right into the soft snow and then it was all over.  It would be 1AM before I got out of there.  2 hours of digging my car to no avail brought the Snohomish Co. sheriff up where he got stuck.  Most of our digging for the next 6-7 hours went toward extricating all the Search and Rescue vehicles (who came to save me).  Broke a winch.  Broke a pulley rated to 15,000 lbs or something.  Finally at 11PM a monster Jeep pulled us all out without a sweat.  Then Search and Rescue got us all lost trying to find our way down the proper logging road to Darrington.  I hate Darrington.

Now that is a great TR and adventure.  This becomes a baseline trip for future adventures when friends start swapping "now let me tell you about my..."   ;)

I could probably get you up to white chuck if you want to climb it...

good to hear you got out... one time on the way to three finger TH in the middle of Jan, I came across a car that was stuck about 12mi up the gravel rd, in about 2ft of snow... looked like it had been there since november. that would be one long walk out...

I had a suby in the snow and it is basically like a big lead sled once you get it stuck! 

author=savegondor link=topic=19689.msg83639#msg83639 date=1298164695]
Finally at 11PM a monster Jeep pulled us all out without a sweat...  I hate Darrington.

So now we know it takes a hill-billy jalopy jeep to "save gondor" -- good to know, and once again the outlying provinces seem to be far ahead in understanding these things.

Also, give Darrington a break; it's not so bad. I was up there for work a couple weeks back and enjoyed the day visiting multiple locations. Drop into the senior center on the main drag downtown for a true slice of honest americana- they'll give you a cup'a joe, let you use the restroom and tell you stories- all under the backdrop of Whitehorse.

PS- glad to hear you made it out safely sg

author=JibberD link=topic=19689.msg83924#msg83924 date=1298440873]
So now we know it takes a hill-billy jalopy jeep to "save gondor" -- good to know, and once again the outlying provinces seem to be far ahead in understanding these things.

Also, give Darrington a break; it's not so bad. I was up there for work a couple weeks back and enjoyed the day visiting multiple locations. Drop into the senior center on the main drag downtown for a true slice of honest americana- they'll give you a cup'a joe, let you use the restroom and tell you stories- all under the backdrop of Whitehorse.

PS- glad to hear you made it out safely sg

Actually I think Darrington is great.  Rather it's my bad luck and the difficulty of getting good beta that inspires the 'hatred.'  I just have this instinctual feeling that there's some real hidden gems up there...and yet the snow-gods, Urrl, whatever are making me earn my dues first.

author=n16ht5 link=topic=19689.msg83921#msg83921 date=1298437404]
I could probably get you up to white chuck if you want to climb it...

good to hear you got out... one time on the way to three finger TH in the middle of Jan, I came across a car that was stuck about 12mi up the gravel rd, in about 2ft of snow... looked like it had been there since november. that would be one long walk out...

I had a suby in the snow and it is basically like a big lead sled once you get it stuck! 

I'd take you up on your offer.  Do you approach from the North or West?  Do you have sled or huge truck and knowledge of the area?  I so want to buy a machine...alas I'm a Seattlite without the money to store sled much less buy one. 

Reply to this TR

feb1-sloan-bedal-pugh-white-chuck-fail
savegondor
2011-02-19 17:18:15