Home > Trip Reports > Feb19 Gunnshy Mountain

Feb19 Gunnshy Mountain

2/15/11
Posted by savegondor on 2/19/11 8:54am
On a string of total failures...thankfully this scouting mission was a pretty huge success.  This despite starting out at 866 feet this year which still might not have been my brightest idea... I made it up to about 3200 feet, a thousand of which ended up being great skiing.  The goal was to get a look at the northface and saddle of Gunnshy.  Got turned around at what I would call the crux of this tour...about 400 feet of cliffy new growth.  I would have done it but 1) I was alone and 2) my dog refused to go  up the cliff bands.  That said, this would make a great tour... above that 400 foot crux the terrain mellows for the next 3000 vertical.  There are multiple options for climbing mini ridges to minimize avalanche exposure.  I'm looking for an experienced partner to bag this one.  Especially if and when Index get's about a foot of snow.  That would make this one skiable from 6000 feet all the way down to the TR at 866 feet.  as it was it was skiable down to about 1500. 

So yeah, looking for a partner to bag this one on a clear winter day with good avi conditions.  The approach though steep and long is fairly strait forward.  The logging road dumps you in the basin with fairly good visibility of the terrain and not too much alder. 

Reply to this TR

feb19-gunnshy-mountain
savegondor
2011-02-19 16:54:17