Home > Trip Reports > Feb 18, 2011, Chair Peak Circumnav GREAT SNOW!

Feb 18, 2011, Chair Peak Circumnav GREAT SNOW!

2/18/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by blitz on 2/18/11 1:45pm
WOW great snow ALL DAY LONG! ;D

Lazy start - met Kurt and new ski friends Kelly and Kerstin  in Issaquah at 8:30. Stopped at the Snoqualamie market and firehouse for €œstuff€ and left trail head after 10.

It was crisp and cold with bluebird skies skinning in the pretty forest to Source Lake.  The sun warmed us on the climb up the open slopes, then blustery wind and shade on  ramps to Bryant Col. We cautiously made our way over the cornice which seemed well supported on our side of the saddle (Kurt cut a little break in it).

Surprise! We got first tracks to Melakwa Lake (tracks up Bryant Col returned to Source lake) and the snow (4-6inches loose) was wonderful (we saved you a bunch). This was warming in the sun, so there could be a crust in morning.

Kurt broke trail up the drainage to Melakwa pass.  Then more delightful freshies 6-8 inches loose snow down to Chair Peak lake and same under Mt Roosevelt to Snow Lake.  It was light and loose €œhero snow€.  Crossing  the lake, two people finally emerged on our outing at Hidden Col (they said it was great).

And happily we found skin tracks (and ski tracks) for our return over the ridge.  Skiing thru the tracked snow down to Source Lake was easy too.  As we got to the lowest slopes, a sun crust had set up.

Pictures to come...
Sounds like a great day Alisa.  :D
Looking forward to the Pix.

Gary and Jan

Groovy!  We did it today.  Spectacular!

BTW, Anita wants to do a tour with you  :)

Hi Blitz,
Missed you by a day.  Brad and I did the circumnav yesterday.  We jealously saw your ski tracks all the way, thinking "Wow, they had first tracks all the way!" And thank you - you did leave us plenty of our own.  I hope you get some pictures up, since mine came out terrible.

Big Steve - we tag teamed with your "Groupon" tour all day - nice skiing with you all.

Here's my Cascade Climbers Trip Report with pictures and a bonus Slot report

Wow, you nailed the weather and snow, nice work!  It is a favorite tour of mine in the local hills.

Here are the photos from the day.  Not only am I a rookie backcountry powder skier, but a rookie backcountry ski photographer.  Or maybe the pictures just don't show the crazy good day we had.  Thanks for organizing, Alisa.

author=Feck link=topic=19677.msg83682#msg83682 date=1298236158">
Here's my Cascade Climbers Trip Report with pictures and a bonus Slot report

Reply to this TR

feb-18-2011-chair-peak-circumnav-great-snow
blitz
2011-02-18 21:45:45