Home > Trip Reports > November 21, 2004, Mt Hood Meadows (closed)

November 21, 2004, Mt Hood Meadows (closed)

11/21/04
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 11/21/04 12:10am
There was a bit more snow then last week but it was still equally as desperate. Group motivation for actual skiing was a bit limited, however, it was more then made up for with humor. While our ascent was remarkably short and pathetic (a few hundred vertical?), much fun and antics ensued. This included much facetious sandbagging: "Carla checkout all the massive amounts of Powder up there! It really is just like February!"; "Trust me there's more snow around the corner"; "Wow have you ever seen such deep powder before?". Other antics included taking a telemarketing call on a cell phone and ordering a left-wing pinko commie magazine (Harpers); crossing streams with skis on (not the snowbridge'd variety); launching off a small kicker; and skiing over asphalt.

All-in-all it was a fun day with fun people. I was home a bit after 1 which leaves me plenty of time to do one of my favorite activities: eat a bowl of Cold Stone Ice Cream while going gear gaping at the Tualatin REI!  ;D

Jason doing the splits over a stream:

Edit to add: I guess I should say something about actual conditions. Where there was snow it alternated between patches of a few inches of sun-affected fresh and patches of fairly conslidated crusty snow.
we were up at meadows also. We hiked up above Cascade lift to about 8000ft and skied one really nice shot above the lift that made up for all the slab, rocks, ice and crust on the way back down. time for the snow dance!!! no photos - too depressing to see what's really underneath all the ski runs at a resort.

Reply to this TR

november-21-2004-mt-hood-meadows-closed
Jeff Huber
2004-11-21 08:10:54