Home > Trip Reports > May 6, 2001, Birthday Traverse, Washington Pass

May 6, 2001, Birthday Traverse, Washington Pass

5/6/01
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by ema on 9/15/02 10:39am
Reports of too damn much snow (5 to 6 feet of fresh) in the Mt. Baker backcountry made trips in that area seem unwise, so I again drove the North Cascades Highway. Set off from the Blue Lake parking lot with a variety of folks I'd met there, one of whom continued with me around the short version of the Birthday Traverse (skipping Copper Pass). From 2-6 inches of fresh Methow powder covers a variety of surfaces up there: wind, rain, sun and melt crusts mainly, not well bonded in general. The fresh was thickening in the heat wherever the sun could get to it, and in some areas was starting to feel a bit sluff-ish: another couple of days there'll be good corn throughout. North facing bowls were filled in with enough dry powder for face shots in places, with shallower spots or bare ice mixed in unpredictably. (We yo-yoed in one 800 foot bowl where the powder was particularly scrumptious. This is May, right? Face shots in a tank top on a nice, sunny day.) The cornice at the col ("The Cornice of Death") was substantially bigger than last time I was there a couple of weeks ago, but still has a human-sized hole in it which the intrepid can squeeze through. I'd be cautious about hanging around under that thing on a warm afternoon. All-in-all a wise choice of location and a great tour. On the drive home I drove up the Sauk Mtn. Road, which is blocked by snow about 5 miles in, at 3000 feet. Another week or two and the southwest face (where the trail is) and back side will make a nice half-day tour.

Enjoy.

Mark

Reply to this TR

may-6-2001-birthday-traverse-washington-pass
ema
2002-09-15 17:39:41