Home > Trip Reports > November 15, 2004, Pardise

November 15, 2004, Pardise

11/15/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ema on 11/14/04 8:47pm
Feeling an urge to beat the legs into shape despite the meager snowpack, RVG, John, and I aimed for the Muir snowfield.  We had good visibility until 7650' at which point we turned around to ski rather stiff corn.  As we decended towards Pardise, the snow softened into nice carvable corn as we picked our way back to the parking lot.  Excellent company with nice views and a few scattered good turns.  Here's hoping the snow comes soon.
I was up there too, for some touring and careful turns around all the rocks. Nice soft 1-1/2" to 2" above the ice and rock. Edith Creek is melted and open, with not much white stuff on the slopes below it, but you can ski down to near the lot on the Skyline side.

The Ohop Bakery and its successor in Eatonville is closed and for rent. Another sign of global warming and the end of the world as we know it.

My brother and I went up as well.  We hiked up to a little above Panorama Point, then skinned up to the cloud ceiling, between 7500 and 7600 feet.  The clouds descended on us as we removed our skins and we skied down about 100 feet unable to see anything before bursting out of the clouds.

Not a whole lot of coverage, but we were able to pick our way down almost to the parking lot.  Ran into a few other groups of skiers as well.  Not a bad day...

Reply to this TR

november-15-2004-pardise
ema
2004-11-15 04:47:52