Home > Trip Reports > November 14, 2004, MRNP

November 14, 2004, MRNP

11/14/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kam on 11/14/04 8:53am
we (Allyson, Cinnamon, Jerry, Kelvin and i) arrived at Paradise to meet Darryl, Maureen and JW at 8:45am, but we were fashionably 45-minutes late of course.  the original plan was to wander onto the Nisqually Glacier to play with ropes, pulleys and carabiners, but the low ceiling and rain at the parking lot made us reconsider. after 30-minutes of standing around talking about Ken and Barbie dolls, we decided to leave the ropes, and instead pack the skis to go for some exercise.  just then pbelitz, jimjar and Brian made their appearance.  we all mumbled something about how stupid it was to ski in the rain and then proceeded to hike in boots.  about 5-minutes into the hike, the rain stopped.  (last weekend it was possible to skin from the parking lot, but the recent warm trend and precip melted some of the snow on the trail.)  our objective was the Muir Snowfield, but after stopping for a snack break at about ~7000', we figured that conditions probably were not much better above, so some of us decided to go yo-yo the slopes below/around McClure Rock.  besides, the lack of visibility above wasn't appealing and the wind picked up a bit.  overall, the snow was nice and carvable.  at the end of the day, pbelitz, jimjar and Brian rejoined us.  we also ran into Phil_Higuera and friends.  it started to drizzle when we made our way back to the parking lot.  below Cinnamon carves stiff corn (click here for more photos):

-kam

Quite a fun day, considering how close I came to heading back home for the couch  8)  Great to ski with all of you again! What few still photos I took are here http://community.webshots.com/album/217436401pSFbJK/a"> I'll try to get out some video this week but I'm three trips behind.   See you all soon , and remember to seek out supplies for our secret film project  ;)  ---Jerry

Way to go, Gang,
Sounds like your usual good judgment prevailed.
Nice photos, Kam & Jerman.
Stefan, Julie and I were out taking one for the team on a "sufferfest", racking up torture points while seeking out new lines for the benefit of all humanity, and more specifically, the bc skiing community.
Had it not been for those philanthropic leanings, we might have joined you all.

Looks like the cloud "ceiling" was higher than I expected (I turned around less than a mile from my apartment Sunday morning where the rain started falling; ended up backtracking to my apartment to trade off skis for the mountain bike; and changed destination from Rainier to the Black Diamond trails).  I'll have to wait again for Nov. turns  ;)

Well Done Again, Jerry!!
Nice use of the Crickets.  It really gets you rockin'.
Rock on  8)

Jerry!  nice video.  what a great day. btw, who's the dork with the twin-tip skis bashing rocks? ;D

Jerry - great video and music.  Get more film of you skiing!

Reply to this TR

november-14-2004-mrnp
kam
2004-11-14 16:53:16