Home > Trip Reports > Jan 30, 2011, Baker slackcountry

Jan 30, 2011, Baker slackcountry

1/30/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by altasnob on 1/31/11 12:14am
Sunday more than made up for the crappy snow on Saturday

Very Nice.
PNWBrit( Banned) and I  got a few slackcountry runs yesterday as well. Hiked Hemisphere and dropped off backside with nice pow leading to virtual cliff out the Brit skillfully negotiated by traverse through avy debris. Then we skiinned up and dropped Blueberry Chutes. What a day... what views....snow great.

Great photos and location selection.

We studied those tracks on our way back to the parking lot near dusk.  Steep.  Impressive.  Not a lot of turning involved.  Thanks for adding photos to the mix.

A surprisingly nice day above 4800 feet, somewhat problematic below. I showed up all prepared for heinous crust, thinking maybe it'd be a good day for a nice logging road tour down in the forest, but instead we wore ourselves out skiing stable powder.

Mark

We were up there too today... skied some fabulous lines off a north face of "Shadow Mountain" (beginning of Ptarmigan ridge)

Nice photos folks, we are the group eating lunch on the ridge in the first shot as you all dropped in. Thanks for the boot back up the Pinnacle, it was fun watching you guys ski it.  Turns out we had a very similar itinerary for the day and we were glad to share the steep and deep with you! Also, big cheers for that dog to stomp the line through the slough, I was expecting to see a real live dog-a-hawk but the K9 prevailed, nice work.

got to stay in glacier for the weekend.  skied both days and it was great.  got to tick one off the list and the sun and snow were soooooo good: video here

Altasnob: we may be interested in using the top image on our web site (BCA). Would you mind shooting me a PM with your contact info so we can discuss details? I'll be out of the country until the 11th of Feb and will be able to get back to you after that time. Nice line, by the way. Thx, Steve

Reply to this TR

jan-30-2011-baker-slackcountry
altasnob
2011-01-31 08:14:04