Home > Trip Reports > January 29, 2011, Commonwealth basin

January 29, 2011, Commonwealth basin

1/29/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by skibum on 1/29/11 12:20pm
Started off the morning in Tacoma, then promptly drove up to North bend where we were supposed to meet a partner. He ended up leaving the key for his rocket box back at home in Seattle, and didn't end up coming touring with Chris and I. The skin up started in the rain, but it turned to snow at about 4k or so. There was a good 2" of snow at about 4,500' and about 6" at 5500. When we were deskinning on a nice little bench we found in the protection of the trees we heard a thunderous sound that turned out to be an avalanche that we couldn't see due to the fog. We made some sweet turns down the bowl, and soon arrived back at the base of the skin track. We had to skin out a little, but skied most of the way. We didn't follow our skintrack out, and ended up getting cliffed out a little bit and had to skin for 20 minuted to get back to the river crossing, from there on, the skiing down the trail was pretty shitty, but i was sliding on snow, so i had a good time regardless. There was definitely some snow moving up top in the bowl on top of the crust, and we made a few good sluff's. Stopped at the north bend bar and grill on the way back and filled up on a delicious burger. We were soaked, but had an awesome adventure into the commonwealth basin. pictures coming soon!
The new snow at 5500' was of mashed-potato quality, and generally not bonded well to the underlying crust.  The sluffs we did trigger propagated until they reached flatter terrain below.  In our case, since we were in the trees on rolling benches, none of these went far or had the chance to get going very fast.

There was a lot of evidence of natural slide activity in the chutes we passed on the way, both older debris and snowballing/pinwheeling of the new snow.  Like Jack said, we heard a noisy slide and observed what may have been its debris in one of the slide paths (if that was the slide we heard, it didn't make it all the way down to our skin track).  This suggests that the snow-bonding issue we observed at 5500' may be true higher up as well.

Reply to this TR

january-29-2011-commonwealth-basin
skibum
2011-01-29 20:20:35