Home > Trip Reports > 1.28:NON PNW TR!! Cardiff Fk. Cardiac Bowl UT

1.28:NON PNW TR!! Cardiff Fk. Cardiac Bowl UT

1/15/11
Posted by alpymarr on 1/29/11 4:28am
I know the pure TAYers hate the outta region reports, but I know when I was living up there I loved seeing stuff from other ranges. For those interested I toured around upper LCC outta Alta yesterday to keep learning new places here....man was I impressed. If youve been up there you know! Great fluffy pow still hanging around in these bowls, north facing. Lots of tracks due to all the heli traffic. The helis are going to take some getting used too. Not used to that at Paradise or in the Olympics!! Saw some gigantic glidecracks....never seem them that big, makes the terrain look glaciated. Enjoy the pics.
Glide cracks....

Nice Alpymarr.
Whats the scene like down there and how does it differ from the PMW scene?

The scene is more open. Tons of folks out in the BC and everyone seems to be nice and willing to answer my noob questions on routes, aspects, etc. Also, most people I see are great skiers. Out in LCC most people are ski bums and live up there and ski everyday and have the general ski in day drink in night attitude. I like that. Powder farming is huge and nearly every line is farmed with precision. It makes sense because sometimes there can be weeks between good dumps and people want to leave some for the next day or even week. Usually the snow is preserved well in higher northerly spots. There are also alot of extreme type skiers hucking things and skiing steep exposed lines. Tons of splitboarders too, but cohabitation seems to be working just fine. The only thing thing that really sucks is the heli-ski/tourer comingling. Just yesterday I was skinning up a bowl and a chopper landed on the ridge about 200 ft away from me, dumped their clients and shredded the choice line. There are heli-free areas which are on my list. You would like the scene...especially being chief etiquette officer and all....I still miss the skiing in the NW though and am looking forward to getting up there soon and skiing all of my good ole spots at Paradise and Hurricane. Its a tradeoff, but cool to experience new stuff.

Sounds dreamy... thanks for the perspective..Glad you are having fun. Please post regular TR's.

author=alpymarr link=topic=19340.msg81957#msg81957 date=1296336402]
Powder farming is huge and nearly every line is farmed with precision. It makes sense because sometimes there can be weeks between good dumps and people want to leave some for the next day or even week.

See all you nay sayers, I'm not the only one who believes in powder turn preservation.  8)

Thanks for the report, gotta love Utah snow and it's ability to morph over time too.

Glad you guys enjoyed the TR. Come get some. Farming has its place, and this spot is one of them. The sheer number of people skiing around there warrents its use. A few big gs turns by 10 people would definitly change the appeal of the bowl. I remember talking of spooning turns at Paradise a while back and started a sizeable sheetstorm..Anyways keep on spooning there Joeda or else Scotsman may issue you a citation. ;)

Thanks for the TR and beautiful images.  Powder and sunshine, hmmmm. We'll be there late February.

I understand the preservation idea in a popular place...but I do not go into the back, or side, country to 'follow rules' or other peoples turn size. I go partly 'cause their ain't nobody tellin' me what to or not to do.

post a pic of the farmed furrows off facebook :) see you in march

author=alpymarr link=topic=19340.msg81957#msg81957 date=1296336402]
The only thing thing that really sucks is the heli-ski/tourer comingling. Just yesterday I was skinning up a bowl and a chopper landed on the ridge about 200 ft away from me, dumped their clients and shredded the choice line.

I have empathy but it also depends on if you are in the heli or not. Last week we landed at the top of Blue Lake Col just as a group of skinners had arrived. I did feel a pang of sympathy for a few seconds but I got over it as I dropped down Spire Gully to the heli waiting at the hairpin. ;) It's an interesting dynamic for sure.

yup. and I've been dropped in Cardiff and Cardiac from the choppers a few times. while the outfit may be loathed by some, every conversation I've ever heard on the ship with the guides, owners and pilots was pretty empathetic and considerate of the skinners.

interesting dynamic indeed, and trust me, the folks that heli in don't think it's any less spectacular.

oh yeah, bring back the Brit.

Havent been on the ship before. Im sure it rocks. Im not totally anti-heli but am kind of a purist. I think they should be banned from areas whete other motorized traffic is banned. Thats really my only beef. Believe me, if I could afford heli drops all the time, it would ruin my life because it would be my life. Oh yeah, thats jealousy! Guilty. But still, i do identify with the ideals of heli-free wasatch, check it on the web sometime..

It's like crack!
One ride and you'd turn into Charlie Sheen.... hookers and blow and heli drops. OH my! ;D
I've read the website re heli-free wasatch before and Andrew Mcleans lobbying on straightchuter. I know its' a big issue down there.

Nice TR...love hearin' about backcountry in the wasatch, nice pics!...link to a video poking fun at the heli-free wasatch controversy...
http://pointofrelease.com/videos/dawn-patrol-skiing-video-humor-comedy-funny-xtranormal/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d424a89116429ca%2C0

Reply to this TR

1-28-non-pnw-tr-cardiff-fk-cardiac-bowl-ut
alpymarr
2011-01-29 12:28:14