Home > Trip Reports > Jan 26-27, 2011, A gift for 100 months

Jan 26-27, 2011, A gift for 100 months

1/26/11
Posted by kam on 1/27/11 12:57pm
January 2011 marks 100 consecutive months of skiing for me, and so far, it has been an amazing month. 

To celebrate I made a new pair of skis to remember this occasion, something that resembles what Snowshoe Thompson would have made back in the day €“ the top sheet on the left ski is pear wood veneer; the right ski is maple veneer; the ski€™s core is fine €“ I€™m kidding €“ pine from HomeDepot; the sidewalls are made from Jatoba, Brazilian cherry; and Snowshoe didn't use this but I added some special composite fibers, viscoelastic jibberish, and metal):

All this month I€™ve been skiing a few days a week since January 1, including dawn patrolling before going to work once a week.  Now yesterday, Jan. 26, I took the Squeaker after work up to one of our favorite spots above Mt. Rose pass to get some quiet time, reflect on things, and capture some light:

The ski down at dusk was over crusty and crunchy old snow, so it was not that great.  In fact, it sucked!  But on a day like this it€™s not about the quality of the snow.

Finally, this morning, Jan. 27, I received a wonderful gift:  the birth of our new baby girl, Norie, at 8:07 am, weighing 6 pounds, and stretching 20 inches.  Mother and baby are healthy and doing well.  One-hundred months doesn€™t get any sweeter than this!
Congrats, Kam and Allyson, and welcome to the brave new world!

You have four days to get Norie out to begin her streak of Turns All Year, get on it!
Best wishes to the whole family, they sure have a nice new nest. :)

Awesome Kam & Allyson, congratulations!

Outstanding!  Congratulations to the three of you!

Mark

Congratulations! Many happy turns for all three of you! :)!

Congratulations!
Good luck, health and happiness for the next hundred to you and your newly expanded family.

Wonderful news Kam. 

Rock on, Ally & Kam!
Norie... I love that name.
I'm really happy for you guys.

Great news! Congratulations!

I was hoping that the new 100 month skis would have the nano damping materials that you have been working on. Well maybe next 100 edition.

Congratulations Kam!

Reply to this TR

jan-26-27-2011-a-gift-for-100-months
kam
2011-01-27 20:57:55