Patrol Race

• ron j
  • [ron_j]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Nov 2004 00:12 #170031 by ron j
Patrol Race was created by ron j
18 miles, 3,000 ft vertical in 4 hours, 37 minutes. <br>Them guys had some hard bark on 'em.<br>That's what Lowell Skoog reported of the participants in the historical Patrol Races last night at the Mountaineers Ski and Snowboard open house. The historical race, which was a major event in skiing in the PNW in the 1930's, covered an 18 mile route ("as the crow flies") from the Mountaineers Lodge at Snoqualmie (the old one at Lodge Lake) to the Mountaineers Meany Lodge at Stampede Pass. <br>Nice job with the presentation, Lowell. While I was slightly disappointed when you came to the end of your program and I still hadn't heard a historical ski song from the past pass your lips, the presentation was, nonetheless, professional, enlightening, and entertaining.<br>This March the Mounties are planning a scheduled trip over the route of the old races and next year (2006) they will actually conduct a reenactment of the old race, right down to the application of the actual original rules (8 ft. wooden skis will be optional, however :) )<br>I would sure like it if some of you local animals proved that at least some of us modern folks are just as tough as the old timers by beating their record.<br>More info on the Patrol Race and it's course on the Mountaineers web site:<br>www.mountaineers.org/skiing/
Thanks, Lowell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2004 00:41 #170032 by JMor
Replied by JMor on topic Re: Patrol Race
It certainly was an interesting program presented by Lowell last night at the Mountaineers. Really does make you want to sit and listen to more of the back country history and see the wonderful "old" photos that Lowell has resurrected. The historical Patrol Races should be an interesting and fun event for those stong willed, physically fit folks looking for a challenge. I'll certainly be happy to cheer your teams across the finish lines ;D

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Nov 2004 06:53 #170033 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Patrol Race
Thanks Ron. Thanks Mad_Dog. It was nice seeing you both at the open house.<br><br>If anyone would like more information about the Patrol Race, check out this story:<br><br>www.alpenglow.org/skiing/patrol-race-2004/index.html

Or this route description:

www.alpenglow.org/skiing/patrol-race-2004/patrol-route.html

When the Mountaineers approached me about reviving the Patrol Race, they initially wanted to run at as a race this year. I recommended against that, because the course is not obvious (if it ever was) and I imagined fiascos rivalling the old days (minus skiers getting thrown off trains, of course). This year it will be a "pleasure tour" to see if people enjoy it enough to want to race over it. I really have no clue whether they will.<br><br>The Patrol Race route, if done as a race, is harder than a modern randonnee rally. It also does not favor modern backcountry gear and techniques. If you really wanted to go fast, to have a chance of breaking the old 1936 record, I think you'd need to use nordic gear and wax, not AT gear and skins.<br><br>I'd like the March 5 tour to be open to skiers outside the Mountaineers. The Mountaineers have said that's okay (after signing waivers), so you can expect to see more information on TAY when the time draws nearer.

More
04 Nov 2004 17:01 #170035 by Ed
Replied by Ed on topic Re: Patrol Race
Great presentation Lowell. I think the really tough ones set out at 0400 to break trail for 8+ hours. Should be a great tour, and hopefully a great race in '06.

More
05 Nov 2004 00:28 #170036 by JW
Replied by JW on topic Re: Patrol Race
Thanks alot Lowell, very entertaining! At the pace Ron, Jeanette and I usually travel were gonna need about three days to complete the course 8) ---- Jerry

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Nov 2004 02:20 #170037 by hyak.net
Replied by hyak.net on topic Re: Patrol Race
Great story and history. Thanks!

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
07 Nov 2004 15:31 #170045 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Patrol Race
With Ron, Jeanette and Jerry breaking trail for me, I'll try for two days...although I'm a bit alarmed to read on another thread about you folks warming up on "mellow" 45 degree slopes before moving on the the main order of business. <br><br>Sorry to have missed your presentation, Lowell. I was busy allowing myself to get sucked into the Seattle-Everett traffic vortex. In fact, it finally spat me out just the day before yesterday.