Home > Trip Reports > January 21, 2010, Mt Oliver, nr Teton Pass

January 21, 2010, Mt Oliver, nr Teton Pass

1/21/10
US elsewhere
Posted by trees4me on 1/25/11 3:02am
Took last week off with no plans other than finding some good skiing.  After sitting on our hands watching the weather for 2 days we drove for the Tetons which produced the goods.  Lots of fresh snow, and generally cold (saw -9F on the car thermometer).  It did warm up a bit at times and in the lower <8k' trees there was a buried crust (6-12") down that was noticeable. 

We did a tour up Mt Oliver on Friday.  Easy skinning up.  There was a steep track and a flat track, so I added a third that was jussssttt right   ;)
Overcast with sun breaks.  The upper east facing bowls skied amazing, with 12" of light powder.  Summitted and then skied the west drainage with no tracks and in well spaced trees for 2k.  Came out stateline canyon after trying to quarter pipe a tree stump (didn't work) for a great tour.
~3k overall, stable low-risk terrain, and a fun way to get acquainted with an unfamilar area.

Anthony Lakes, OR

First view of Tetons on the way to Driggs

Mt Oliver's shoulder and approach

east bowls (8000-9000')

The right choice!

Looking towards the East bowls from the top of Oliver.  We skied steeper treed route off west side.

Great trip report.  Thursday I am headed to Victor ID to tour Teton Pass and other areas.  The weather will hover around 28 to 31.  I am hoping the avalanche conditions remain low.  I'll be with a local however so that should increase my chances of good safe snow.  Post some photos!

How long was the drive trees4me?
I'm thinking of doing the same thing soon based upon our snakebit local forecast.

Sweet, I wish we had been there longer, the snow just kept getting better and the avy danger was decreasing!

We did it in a day.  Took I-84/82 both ways and it was about 14 hours.  Hit a rock at 2am outside of LaGrande, blew a tire and bent the front shock so that cost us a couple days.... we did go skin at Anthony lakes which was also very nice (not as much base tho).

Go, it'll be sweet!

a few pics are up.

author=trees4me link=topic=19214.msg81587#msg81587 date=1296026714]
a few pics are up.

Lots of good pic's from all over the place.  Thanks.

Reply to this TR

january-21-2010-mt-oliver-nr-teton-pass
trees4me
2011-01-25 11:02:01