Home > Trip Reports > Weekend at the Yurt Video, Jan 20 - 23, 2011

Weekend at the Yurt Video, Jan 20 - 23, 2011

1/15/11
Posted by Jeff_Ward on 1/24/11 8:03am
Spent another weekend at the yurt.  Stability has improved dramatically over the last week.  The skiing is still good, especially on east aspects.  Here's a video of some of the turns.  I made sure to put some skinning shots in so people wouldn't give me a hard time about putting this in the "backcountry" section ;). 
http://ncmountainguides.com/permalink.asp?id=618#618
Nice Jeff.
We helied on Sat 1/22 and didn't find quite as good conditons generally although Madison Av and especailly Liberty Bowl skied well.
Cosmic Blast was windpacked hard but still fun.
We had a great time though.

What the heck, the heli-skinners got all the powder??? Still the views were 100% spectacular.   ;D Even though the windpacked snow was on the plus side of marginal, being able to pop around and ski in the North Cascade mountains, landing and flying over knife ridges is unforgettable.

I forgot to mention lots of avy debris from the last cycle. Piles of snow 15 feet high 100 feet wide at the bottom of major chutes like Liberty.

author=Scotsman link=topic=19204.msg81426#msg81426 date=1295918420]
Nice Jeff.
We helied on Sat 1/22 and didn't find quite as good conditons generally although Madison Av and especailly Liberty Bowl skied well.
Cosmic Blast was windpacked hard but still fun.
We had a great time though.

Yeah, the wind did some damage up high.  We were able to find good snow but it definitely wasn't everywhere.  Headed back for another weekend at the yurt this weekend.  I'm starting to get the feeling they don't want me around the helicopter, or maybe they're worried about me getting a heli- belly.  Either way I'm looking forward to another trip. 

Reply to this TR

weekend-at-the-yurt-video-jan-20-23-2011
Jeff_Ward
2011-01-24 16:03:05