Home > Trip Reports > Jan 21-22, 2011, Sasse Ridge

Jan 21-22, 2011, Sasse Ridge

1/21/11
Posted by Larry_R on 1/24/11 6:49am
Jane and I went back to our spot on Sasse Ridge this last Friday €“ Saturday in spite of the weather. It was getting to the point where we were just going to have to go if we were going to ski, having postponed things because of the recent rains. We skied up in the rain, fairly heavy at times at a temperature of 34 deg. Such conditions are actually a lot tougher than when it is biting cold. Everything gets damp and or wet.

The rain mostly stopped by evening, and the next day was quite nice €“ all but the skiing.  (some pics below)  The rain soaked snow had frozen solid, little bumps and all. We went maybe a third the way up the 'frontside€™ (above the 4600 foot road bend) mostly to check the conditions out. The recent rains had melted a *lot* of snow, exposing many small trees, and melting out significant tree wells on the down slope sides of stumps. The result being that every big lump in the snow might, or might not, have a big hole on the downhill side of it.  We decided to be cautious; it was not worth going any farther. But it was still fun in its own way.

Nice Larry -- that kind of weather had to be rough for staying warm.  Got any new systems that you're dialing in this year?

Thanks Larry.
Missed your reports!

author=Joedabaker link=topic=19202.msg81431#msg81431 date=1295920939]
Thanks Larry.
Missed your reports!

Me too!

Larry, I especially appreciate when you share your detailed bc snow camping strategies and tactics, like how to stay warm and dry out there...

So have you established homestead rights on Sasse Ridge yet?

Thanks guys,

I'll try to add a few more thoughts later today. One thing new: I finally bought a top of the line parka, the $450 sort. I've always been frugal, and had my doubts about what one gets for an extra 200 dollars when buying a parka. I'm not sure if there was that much difference in the past, in a cold pouring rain  for example, but for me at least, *there sure is now*.  In conditions similiar to this trip, my 3 or 4 year old mid price range Mountan Hardware parka would be almost dripping went inside (from sweat) by the time I would get the campsite - - even when it was new. My new parka made of Gortex Pro Shell was essentially dry inside when we arrived, and a good shake threw off nearly all the beaded water on the outside before I got into the tent. I didn't even bother with the usual drying procedure while in the tent -- I just put it on for our evening stand around and look at the starts routine. It was bone dry the next morning.

Larry

Reply to this TR

jan-21-22-2011-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2011-01-24 14:49:01