Home > Trip Reports > Jan 19, Crown Point and Bullion Basin

Jan 19, Crown Point and Bullion Basin

1/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Paulina on 1/20/11 2:17am
Yesterday David showed me around Crystal BC. We went up to Crown Point and skied down into Bullion Basin. The most gorgeous weather day ever! Wish I had a camera.
The snow conditions were variable: dusting to a couple of inches of fresh on top of a crust, wind-swept/loaded on the ridge and high up on the Northern aspect slopes. The surface was textbook frost hoar like I've never seen before. Will probably be a very weak layer if/when buried. We dug a pit up there and saw nothing but stability.

Minor excitement was provided by me stepping through into a tree well (with no skis on), but a quick stabilizing hand from David ensured a prompt and effective self-rescue :-). We saw nobody all day save for a friendly ski patroller and her two very energetic dogs.
Thanks for a great trip and would love to do it again.  Did you grab a ticket and ski some more?  Anyways I just finished a couple of runs in bounds and it is hard, so groomers all the way.

Thanks! Yeah, I had time for one run from the summit hut. Lots more tele-turns than in the BC! :-)

Reply to this TR

jan-19-crown-point-and-bullion-basin
Paulina
2011-01-20 10:17:26